PDA

View Full Version : Inking Edges - a photoshop tutorial

ckbymommy
03-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Inking edges is a very easy technique that adds real "pop" to your page!

You can ink on paper for a photo or journal mat, on embellishments like letters etc, or directly on the photo. For this tutorial, we are inking a photo mat.

Choose a paper you want to mat your photo with and crop it to a size that allows more than just a sliver of the paper to show around the edge of the photo (I recommend at least an eighth to a quarter inch on each side).

Place your mat as another layer on a transparent blank page (after you get the hang of it, you can ink directly on the LO). Create a third layer on top of the mat. Ctrl-click on the mat layer in your layers pallette to select it.

Click on the top layer in your layers pallette. Click on the foreground color square on your tools pallette and choose a color that coordinates with your paper, but won't blend in with it.

Choose your brush tool (B) and choose a brush. In Adobe Photoshop CS, there is a brush preset that I use most of the time for inking - in your brush pallette, click the fly-out list and choose "reset brushes", the last brush available in that group (assuming you haven't added new ones to the list) is "Airbrush dual brush soft round 45"*.

Now you are ready to ink. Make sure your mat has 'marching ants' around it, the top blank layer is selected, and your color and brush are where you want them. Drag your brush around the edge of your paper - don't try to be too perfect, you want it to look like you took your paper in your hand and used an ink pad to drag around the edge. If you go back over the same spot without releasing the the mouse, it won't add more 'ink'.

When you have finished inking, you can adjust the opacity in your layers pallete on that top 'ink' layer to let more of the texture and pattern of your paper show through. Now, link the ink with the mat and merge them <ctrl+E>, and now your inked mat is ready to be placed on your layout!

*If you don't have that brush preset - you basically want a brush with a slight amount of size jitter (25% or less); a main brush that is round and soft and a dual brush that has a bit of a sponge texture; and it should have the following checked: airbrush, smoothing, and protect texture.

Check out my Alyssa inked Alpha (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3092&cat=500&ppuser=1160) or this layout of my granddaughter Brooklynn (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1870&cat=500&ppuser=1160)to get an idea of what an inked edge might look like. This is a technique that it might be helpful to have tried on paper to get a feel for how it should look, so if you aren't a paper scraper or have never tried this technique on paper, grap a peice of scrap paper and an ink pad and play with it.

So, now that you know how to ink, let me see your layouts using your new technique - link back here!!!

Use this technique in the ABC challenge Letters I & J (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251) .... March 27 - April 9 and get my Alyssa inked Alpha as a posting bonus!

Debra
03-28-2007, 06:50 AM
What a great tutorial..thanks so much for taking the time making this and posting it Melanie! :roses:

ADesignGallery
03-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tutorial Melanie! ~Nita

yin
03-29-2007, 05:39 AM
THanks Melanie!! Thanks for sharing!! I actually haven't tried using that brush, hhmmmm, off to take a look!

okblues
03-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Well written tutorial Melanie!

HollyS
03-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh wow!! This is so wonderful Melanie! Thanks so much for taking time away from your precious day to write this and share with everyone. We so appreciate it!

Leslie Emery
05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Melanie, thank you so much for that great inking edges tutorial. I am just now really trying to learn my pse5 program. It has been so frustrating for me. :hairpull:
Two weeks ago I bought a basic dvd off of ebay that has helped some.
But your tutorial is great, I was actually able to ink a page. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your tutorial with us. I really appreciate it!
Thanks again :love-smiley-011:

bdjeepers
05-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank you, Melanie! I am such a klutz with PSE, but I'm trying to learn, and I'll try this - I've just GOT to learn this program!

Babette
05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank so much! This worked great in PSP X as well!! Very cool hint!!!

Cherry47
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial. I'm going to try it tonight. Brooklynn is very beautiful.

myartistry
06-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the tutorial...I appreciate those who take the time to teach so-ooo much!

zamama
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Thank you. I use PSP, but I think I have the idea on how to do it now. Thank you I can't wait to try it!

tweederbug
01-17-2008, 05:18 AM
THanks so much for this tutorial. I just did one mat...Even though I need to practice this to make it perfect,I definately go the concept of it. This was an easy tutorial to follow. You did a great job..will use in the future.

precious
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
So as i understand it correctly its just going around the adge with a brush? thats it?
liek this?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/miss_moscow_russia/ink.jpg

tajicat
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! :biggrin:

candi1973
09-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I am soooooooooo falling in love w/ this site. I have learned so much in the last 15 minutes, it's crazy-cool!!!!

Thanks for this info, I am traditionally a "paper" and hybrid scrapper, so I am loving this technique in the digital world, too!

Thanks again!!! :wink:

CarolWojick
10-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

stater
10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the great tut!

briarwoodpups
01-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Wow! you can do that digitally, huh? i'll have to try that...

darlingina
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for sharing your great tip! I can't wait to try it out. :)

http://www.cilm.com/cilmsnagsntags//tags/4091.jpeg (http://www.cilm.com)

karbi
04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Can't wait to try this out. Thank you.

hollandnancy
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
thank you very much for the inking tutorial. I'm going to try it.

briarwoodpups
04-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Woohoo!! And the tutorial lives on! I just inked an edge and I love it! I halfway tried it before, but this was my first "success" :)

britnkaysmemaw2
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Woohoo!! And the tutorial lives on! I just inked an edge and I love it! I halfway tried it before, but this was my first "success" :)

I'm with you there Jayne. I just tried it too, and it sure looks better than when I had tried it on my own, lol. These tuts are so great!

Gem
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you for the tutorial. It is very helpful.

photocowgirl
09-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Great tutorial - thanks so much for sharing!