PDA

View Full Version : Overlay question

101catpawz
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I use psp X2. I see overlays sold which are grey of course, then they show examples of finished papers made with such overlays. They have the design part of the overlay in something like green and purple then the background (that one would think is behind the design) is something totally different like orange and pink. I'be tried to duplicate this but have had no luck yet. I've tried gradients and other designer papers but no go. Can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

elenasworld
08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I use Photoshop, so not sure the exact steps you would use
but it might be similar

I also duplicate the layer (and keep the original, but not visible -- just in case I totally mess up and want to start again)

I create a blank layer and fill that with whatever color I am going for.

Usually I will have the overlay layer on top, and the layer with just the color on the bottom.
I then adjust the blending modes of the "overlay" layer
Some to try out are soft light, luminosity, color burn, color
You will get different results depending on the color you chose and colors in your "overlay"

Sometimes I will go back to my original and "colorize" that layer, and move it to the top of the "overlay" layer and the color filled layer, and adjust the blending modes of that layer as well.

For me, it is a matter of playing around with the layers, modes and opacity of the top layers.

Hope this gives you some ideas
Maybe there are some PSP users out there who can help answer too

good luck

britnkaysmemaw2
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Can't help with any answers, but glad Liz came along with some great info for you, and I am sure there are others out there who will help you too.