PDA

View Full Version : Can I Fire My Phone Company?!?

okblues
03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
I am about at wit's end with our phone company/isp. I sure wish I had another alternative, but I'm stuck with them for now. Since early Saturday morning, my dsl has been down & we haven't been able to make long distance calls, even though we use a different long distance company than our local phone company. We couldn't even dial toll free numbers & for anything except local calls (and believe me, they are "local") we had to use our cell phones. Then they wouldn't even answer their toll free repair and dsl support numbers all day. I guess they finally fixed the problem & all is back to normal.

Excuse my rant, but it seems like this happens too frequently & I so dislike not being able to be online. Hubby tells me I'm spoiled, lol. So now that I'm back online, I'm off to post the new sketch challenge.:wink:

twirlyjoy
03-25-2007, 03:18 AM
oh no Alice - thats my worst nightmare!! I live to be on-line!! (spoiled?? or addicted?? prolly the latter!!)

steph
03-25-2007, 04:54 AM
That is a nightmare!!! We miss you so much when you are here!!!!

Stephanie

HollyS
03-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Yuck! We are so dependant upon our phone and internet, aren't we! Glad the little spell is over and things are back to normal for ya!

Terrell
03-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I had so many problems with our phone companay that I did fire them lol. We are now using cable internet and Vonage for our phone service. Between the two it's the same price as what I was paying the regular phone company plus now we have cable lol. Vonage gives local service and long distance and as long as you don't call out of the country it comes to just about $40 a month with taxes. Now if I could just fire the electric company............

ckbymommy
03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Vonage gives local service and long distance and as long as you don't call out of the country it comes to just about $40 a month with taxes.

We use Sunrocket - and for $199 a year we get unlimited long distance - plus we were able to take our old phone number with us. Plus sunrocket allows some international minutes each month and any above and beyond the allowed is at a decent price (you get $3.00 international allocation with several key countries being 3 cents per minute - so you get 100 minutes to those place each month. And they send you a free cordless phone and the 'gizmo' you need to connect the phone to your modem.

We did that for our home phone number which we were paying over $30 a month without any long distance - now its about $17 a month if you pay the year all at once. And that includes voice mail, call waiting, and caller ID. We kept our business line because of the yellow pages listing, and we needed a land line in order to have the DSL. But are considering switching to a cable modem provider and using our cel phones for business - which would really cut our expenses. Since we have only had one person find our business in the yellow pages in the past couple of year - I think it would be a good switch.

Oh, yeah, and you can add additionnal numbers to the same line for an additional $3 per month - they can be local with a different ring tone OR they can be from anywhere in the US - so you can add one with your parents or adult/college children's area code so that they can dial a local number and talk to you anytime they want!

just wanted to add: Sorry - I don't get anything from them if you sign up, just have been so fed up with qwest and was so happy to find this company - we've been using them for over a year and have been incredibly happy with the service.

okblues
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks ladies! I've checked on Vonage & they aren't available in my area. I'm telling you, I live in the middle of nowhere. :) I will check on Sunrocket though as that is cheaper than the unlimited long distance package we have with AT&T, which we could not use when our local company was out of commission either. For internet access, I have limited choices here, so will have to stick with dsl from our phone company or go back to dialup or the satellite, which was costly and unreliable at times. I'm just happy it is fixed. :)

kpollinger
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
We did fire our phone company but live in an area with lots of access and choices (we use Comcast for everything). My mom lives in a less wired part of our state and has no DSL options =( She is still dial up! so I feel for you - hopefully SOME competition makes it in.

When I was single I killed my house phone altogether and just used a cell phone - it was much more affordable.

Kimberly