PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Backing Up Data

elenasworld
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Allright Scrappers
I am sending out a friendly reminder to everyone about backing up your photos and data. I know it is such a chore and so time consuming sometimes, but I think you would agree it is worth the effort

My dh's friend just lost his entire stash of family photos, three kids, going back 10 years. He turned his computer on, and poof, literally black smoke billowed out of his hard drive.

For some reason, in ten years, it never ocurred to him to burn any photos to disc or to make some type of backup, and sorry to say, he is a tekky geek, yes, he is one of those computer nerds advising people to backup and save, save, save.

I am in the process of backing up and moving files all the time. It is just an ogoing thing with me. (and, I have at least three copies of all my photos and digi-supplies. Maybe that is over the top, but I heard a story once....and that was all I needed to make an extra backup)

Be honest scrappers, do you back up?

j_camargo6
08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I do about once a week. I just burn everything to disk...it would be a HUGE job to sort it if I ever had to restore, but at least it's there.

angel85qcca
08-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I back up my photos, but not my digi-supplies.

daisydilly
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
after losing all my stuff not long ago I learned to back up --especially the things I buy--as soon as I open them!!! I don't worry about the pics as I keep them on disc but I will back them up sooner or later

rumkimom
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
After having lost 18 months worth of photo (2 years ago), I back things up about once a month. I never want to loose that much stuff again....it still hurts when I think about everything I lost.

After vacations I also tend to back up my photos...even if had just backed them up. Speaking of this, it is time to back up those photos again. :)

I also back up all the downloads about monthly, but what I have scrapped does not get backed up near as much. I do have quite a few of those already printed out and in books already.

britnkaysmemaw2
08-14-2009, 05:09 PM
You would think I learned my lesson not long ago when my EHD started acting up and my hard drive on the computer went out, but....I am still trying to recover the files. Guess I should be backing up the stuff I have saved on the new hard drive, huh. Great reminder Liz.

triciacurtis
08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Hourly, actually! I LOVE MY MAC!! :wink: It automatically backs up my computer and my external hard drive and I can go back in time to restore if I need to. If you don't own a Mac YOU SHOULD!!

agarzaldynrd
08-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I've got most of my pics on disc and some of my supplies. My next purchase will be another ehd so I can use one as a back up file. Better do that soon!!

ckbymommy
08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I can't tell you how much work I've had to redo because of not backing up, and yet I still don't do it often enough - only a couple of times a year if I'm lucky. Right now everything goes directly to the EHD, but I know that can fail too, so I know I have to get it somewhere else.

donakat
08-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh, yeah! Glad to know there's another Macophile here. I haven't started using Time Machine yet since I got the new Mac. Is that what you use?
Dona

Hourly, actually! I LOVE MY MAC!! :wink: It automatically backs up my computer and my external hard drive and I can go back in time to restore if I need to. If you don't own a Mac YOU SHOULD!!

triciacurtis
08-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh, yeah! Glad to know there's another Macophile here. I haven't started using Time Machine yet since I got the new Mac. Is that what you use?
Dona

Yes, we have the 1 TB Time Capsule and use Time Machine to back up 2 desktops and our laptop. Works like a charm!

tbcarter2002
08-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I only back up my photos every 2-3 months (I'm sure I should be doing it more often). My digi-supplies are all on 3 different ehd's (yeah, a little extreme, I know) but I figure they won't all go out at the same time anyway. It's kind of a pain to save them to 3 different locations as I get them, but that's what I do.

elenasworld
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I am still backing up my stuff
I have my last chunk of digi-stuff to burn to disc (already moved stuff to the EHD) and now, out of four DVD's, two have come back with errors

this is getting to be frustrating

after the digi-stuff, I have to back track and see where I left off the photos burning to DVD

argggg!

i guess the fun thing about it is, finding all these digi-kits I haven't even used yet, and forgot I had

daisydilly
11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I was just telling DD that I had a ton of stuff to back up tonight but don't know if I'll make it as I'm very tired but I have been doing it regular--now watch me wait and bad things will happen:eek1 :no: