PDA

View Full Version : Immediate cooking help needed by Monday morning!

Gem
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Ladies!

I need your help! Tonight I baked the Cambell's soup One Dish Chicken and Rice bake. It was my first time to make it and it is to take to someone going through cancer treatments. Only I don't know what I was thinking--I used 3 frozen chicken breasts (halves) in the recipe. I don't think I was supposed to use them frozen as the 45 minutes at 375 degrees didn't even make them hot.:hairpull:

Help!!! I'm pretty sure the rice is probably cooked...but really I'm not too sure of that either.

What do I do to fix the meal so that it turns out well? How much time do I need to cook them longer and at what temperature? Do I leave the rice in with the chicken? Is it best just to start over? I have three more chicken breasts and the uncooked rice and the creamed soup.

I took it out of the oven at the 45 minute time and will refrigerate it overnight. But I need to cook it before I go to work, because they will need it right after I come home from work.

Thank you for any help you can give. The rest of the dinner will be scrumptious. I don't want to spoil the main meal.

elenasworld
08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh My -- you poor thing!
I am not the best cook at all

Since I have crazy things happen to me all the time
I would make a second dish with the three breasts of chicken and the extra soup I have (in a pinch I thaw chicken in the microwave, slowly and at very reduced power)

i would love to hear any other suggestions too

j_camargo6
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Girl...that is so AWESOME of you to help out your friend!

Hate to tell you, but if it was me, I'd start over....I'm freaky about chicken and food safety issues, LOL.
I'd make sure it was thawed the next time, and then it should cook just fine in the time listed.

Sounds like a wonderful meal! Good luck!

ckbymommy
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I make that dish all the time, you do need to start with thawed chicken.

You will definately need to start with new rice and soup, put your chicken on top, season and bake.

You can NOT re-use that rice, as it is contaminated by the raw chicken, and will not need any more cooking. Discard that, wash your casserole, and mix up new rice, soup and water. Lay your thawed chicken on top (I would even be careful of that chicken, unless it is still cold, you don't want to add food poisoning to her problems and her immune system will be low to none with her treatments).

I usually use 2 cans of soup, 3/4 cup rice, 1 cup water and 3 half breasts (1 cream of chicken and one cream of celery OR cream of mushroom, makes it much creamier than with just the one can)

britnkaysmemaw2
08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I have to agree with Melanie. You definitely need to start over. And I do what she does and add an extra can of soup, either Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery. I also have boiled my chicken breasts in broth, and then I dice the chicken and add it to the rice mixture instead of having the chicken on top. It is delicious whatever way you fix it.

How sweet you are to be helping out your friend. Good luck with the new meal.

Gem
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you all sooooo much!

honu
08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Start over...salmonilla...its a killa...that's what my husband says. You can't be too safe when it comes to chicken. The rice has probably been contaminated by the raw juices from the bit of chicken that thawed in the oven.

Gem
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, ladies ~ Thank you so much for all your help. I did start over and felt pretty good about that. It came out great the second time when I used thawed and not frozen chicken. (What was I thinking?) Certainly wouldn't want to make someone sick with my cooking!

j_camargo6
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah! I'm so glad it worked!
I'm sure your friend really appreciated the kindness!

britnkaysmemaw2
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm glad it all worked out for you. They say experience is the best teacher, lol. Now you know never to use frozen chicken on that dish again, lol.

jhyll
08-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Wow! Having to start over with cooking! I am not too much of a kitchen fan. So glad it all turned out well in 'take 2' lol!