PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open .png files in PSE6 on Mac

ScrapSewKnit
07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I am fairly new to digital scrapbooking, and brand new to my Mac. I downloaded a ton of QPs that I would like to use to get caught up on some photo backlog. They all came through as .png files, and I cannot open them on PSE6. Everything I'm finding online says I should be able to. When I try, they just show up as grey and won't give me the option to open them. If I save them as .jpg and then open them, I lose the transparency and can't load photos behind the opening.

Can someone help me here? I have nearly 90 QPs downloaded, I can't open any of them, and I am ready to pull out my hair!! Thank you.

Cheers,
Sarah L

Andrea
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Did you download them all from the same place or were they created by various different designers?

I am fairly new to digital scrapbooking, and brand new to my Mac. I downloaded a ton of QPs that I would like to use to get caught up on some photo backlog. They all came through as .png files, and I cannot open them on PSE6. Everything I'm finding online says I should be able to. When I try, they just show up as grey and won't give me the option to open them. If I save them as .jpg and then open them, I lose the transparency and can't load photos behind the opening.

Can someone help me here? I have nearly 90 QPs downloaded, I can't open any of them, and I am ready to pull out my hair!! Thank you.

Cheers,
Sarah L

ScrapSewKnit
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
They were created by different designers. Some were freebies, some were purchased. It doesn't matter - I can't open any .png files, not QPs, not elements, not anything.

donakat
07-30-2009, 09:07 PM
See the help forum here (http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39380) for a possible solution to this problem.
Dona

ScrapSewKnit
07-30-2009, 10:31 PM
So the forum recommends going into the preferences and clicking on ".png" but there is no clickability in my program. I went to where they suggested; the list has .png in the supported file type list. To the right of it is a drop-down menu. When you look at the list, it lists PSE6, then if you click on it it drops down to show a bunch of other photo editing programs. That is it. No option to click anything, and it is including portable network graphics as a supported file type. It just won't open them.

Seriously, I'm ready to cry. Or scream. Or go buy a PC.

donakat
07-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Sarah,
You need to be in the FINDER (click on the desktop) not in Elements or any other program. Right-click on any png file (if you have a two-button mouse), or Control-click (for a one-button mouse).

The menu that pops up has at the very top the option to "Open With" and an arrow to the side (go sideways to see a drop-down menu) that identifies EVERY application in your Applications folder that opens any kind of graphics, and at the bottom of the list "More..." which if you click it, takes you to your Apps folder and you can see EVERY app you've got, or just recommended apps. You select the app, and if you want, you can check off the "Always Open With" box which will ensure all files of that type open with that application. The bottom info tells you whether a given app that you click on can open a Portable Graphics Network image, or it may say "It is not known if this application can open..."

Once you have identified PSE as the app to open png files with, double-clicking on any png file SHOULD open PSE. I say should, because it's still possible that iPhoto will open it depending on preferences you've set.

One other thing, on the off chance that this is the case: If you've installed PSE on a removable drive, or in any directory (folder) other than Applications on your primary drive, you may have to navigate to that directory to specify the application as directed above. It's the Macintosh convention (really a necessity) to have all programs/applications installed in the Applications directory or the Utilities sub-directory.

ScrapSewKnit
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Dona,

Okay, I went to the finer and did the ctr-click, open with, PSE. It opens the PSE5 program, but an error message pops up that says "Could not complete request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Also, I checked in the Applications folder, and PSE is installed there.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,
Sarah L

donakat
08-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Perhaps they are not truly png files. Or they were created in another program and the png extension was added incorrectly. Do you have Graphic Converter installed? If not, I suggest you download it. It's shareware, and worth the price. It will generally convert any graphic file format to any other. Go here (http://www.lemkesoft.com) to get it--free download.

Andrea
08-01-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm wondering if they are somehow corrupt. It doesn't make sense. I wish I had a solution for you. You might try seeing if someone else can open one of them to see if it's something related to your specific computer system or if it's the files themselves that are the problem.

ScrapSewKnit
08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys. I can't imagine that many files from so many different websites could be corrupt or misnamed. I'm going to have to try to find someone familiar with the program to look at my computer and tell me what's up. I appreciate all the attempts to help.

Cheers,
Sarah L

triciacurtis
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
That has happened to me sometimes, but it's usually just one or two files. I open the file with Preview, do a Save As to what it should be and then it will open. I have also heard of issues with PNGs created in PSP having issues opening in PS/PSE so that could be a possibility.