PDA

View Full Version : Photowalk July 18th

SlidingKat
07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone else doing the Scott Kelby Photowalk on Saturday July 18th? 29,000 people are signed up with walks in a bunch of different cities.

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/

Looks like a great opportunity to meet up with other avid photographers and an interesting new type of event to scrapbook. The walks are limited to 50 people signing up, but last year a lot more people showed up and walked the same route.

Anybody else going to do it?

What city?

I'm signed up for two photowalks. Boulder city Nevada historical district from 8am to 10am and then Laughlin Nevada photowalk from 7pm to 9pm (sunset along the river).

donakat
07-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a great thing to do! I hadn't heard of it before, and can't go this weekend, but I'll have to remember it for next year. Thanks for the mention and link!

SlidingKat
07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
They just announced a bonus participation prize. Everyone who is signs up for a walk gets a month of free training at Kelby Training.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/5572

The video classes on photoshop and photography are well worth signing up for a two hour walk.

Gem
07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Wow! What an amazing participation prize!!! I'm signed up from 8 am - 10am. It is pretty early for a Saturday morning, but it will be great to connect with other photographers. I hope to learn a lot just by watching them and seeing their perspective on photography, objects, scenery, etc.

sparkles
07-17-2009, 06:21 AM
I signed up my whole family for this walk, sounds like a great time

sparkles
07-19-2009, 05:01 PM
The photowalk was a great experience, I hope to be able to do it again next year or anytime they do it again.

donakat
07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Hope you all make some layouts of the photos you got on the walks. I'm anxious to see the variety of photos.

sparkles
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Here are a few of the many photos I took during the walk

PhotoWalk (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=61280&ppuser=8401)

SlidingKat
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Sparkles and Gem what cities did you guys do?

I'm slightly addicted to looking at all the photos on http://worldwidephotowalk.com/listing-of-all-photo-walks/

I did Boulder City, Nevada from 8am to 10am and then Laughlin, Nevada from 6pm to 8pm.

I really need to scrapbook my photos. I had a very bad experience at the first one and other than post the photos I wanted to enter I haven't really done anything with them.

I mean you guys know my personality...if I don't think something is right I say something. Well at the Boulder City walk the leader said we could only submit one photo and it had to be to his email by 7/20. I said the official website says you can submit two photo on the website up until midnight on 7/25. I was ignored.

Then when the leader refused to start a flickr group for photos from our walk so I made one.

I have since been told "If you are a registered participant of the Boulder City Photo Walk, you should be following the procedures as far as posting your photos, that of which you have not done yet. You should not be undermining what Scott Kelby has set up buy counter acting what he has created. This is what you have done, shame on you. I might also suggest that next time you run your own group, I don't think your personality would work well with most spiritually minded photographers. Your attempt to attack Garrett Winslow, President of a group of 300 well know photographer in Las Vegas, is what makes your acquaintance undesirable. You have no idea or knowledge of this group or the people in it. Your mistake in judgment is a disgrace to yourself and you as a member of a photographic community. Most Photographers that I know work together and prosper together, that is what LVPS is all about. You don’t belong here, I have a feeling you are from a slow region of Nevada that needs some spice. Practice in that town, and try to get involved where people do what you do best. Keep it out of Vegas. Allthough I find that I have lowered myself taking the time in responding to you this way, I do want you to know, that you are seriously not welcome without carefully thought out appologies for your misconceptions, and deceptive practices."

I don't think I'll be leaving the house to meet other photographers again. The ironic thing is even with the nasty things said I am really upset they won't give me a copy of the group photgraph of all 50 people, because I want to scrapbook the walk!

sparkles
07-27-2009, 03:26 AM
I was at the Ames IA walk.

I am sorry you had a rotten time at your 1st walk. That note was a nasty one because if he said to email him he was wrong there is a site to upload the photos too. He sounds like a crappy leader.

My photos on the flickr site are under the name acphotography98. At the walk site they are under Sparkles, dvecly is my husband's, tyguy and jrod are my sons'.

Maybe you should let Scott Kelby know about what occured, so he knows how you were treated. Nobody deserves that type of treatment.

donakat
07-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow, the person who wrote you was really out of line! Even if someone did go counter to instructions, there's definitely a better way to go about correcting the mistake. He/she just personally attacked you! I'd stay far away from toxic people like that. Re: your Flickr group--great photos! And there are tons of Flickr groups for the photos from all over the world, so you're not the only one wanting to showcase more than 1 or 2 photos. Freedom of speech issue in my opinion.