PDA

View Full Version : Pse6

nhill
07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I have a macbook and all my pictures are on iphoto. I can't figure out how to place a picture on a lo. Any help is appreciated.

elenasworld
07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I dont use a Mac (my dh does), but I use Photoshop
What scrapping software do you use?

I open a new page in Photoshop
I also have a folder open where I have saved my photos and another folder open where I have the kit I am going to use.

I drag my photo from its folder, right into the photoshop window.
from there, I drag the photo into the open document

Another way to get your photo into Photoshop, is to go to File > Open and then to the folder where you have saved your photos.

Maybe someone with a Mac can help out too

donakat
07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Your photos are showing up in the iPhoto library because you linked them in there, but the files are actually somewhere within your Pictures folder. When you have the finder window open so you can see files, use the view with the icons in columns across the window. On the left side of the window you can see your harddrive, other drives or computers connected, and a list generally containing these Places: Downloads, Desktop, Documents, username, Applications, Movies, Music, & Pictures. You can also drag other categories to this list or remove ones you don't want.

Click on Pictures and you'll see all the folders contained within this area. If you're using the default names given by the newer versions of iPhoto, these names will be dates corresponding to the dates they were added or the dates from the camera information, and will thus be clustered in chronological order. So this way you can find the picture you want.

If you've renamed these folders as I have they will have other names, like Vacation 2008, or Zoo 8-05. Anyway, presumably you can find those pictures again by using some sort of system you make up, or the default one iPhoto uses. If you've done any editing in iPhoto (which you would if you don't have any other image editing application) your file may have been renamed or placed in a different folder. So, find the photo in the Finder, drag it to your layout, or tell Photoshop to open it from that location.

Hope this is clear enough for you to follow.
Dona

elenasworld
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM
you have all the answers Dona!
next time I am going to come to you first :)

donakat
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Ummm... I WISH! I've got some knotty problems I can't seem to solve, so I think that says I don't have all the answers:laugh:

ScrapSewKnit
07-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Click on Pictures and you'll see all the folders contained within this area.
Dona

I'm glad someone asked this, as I was just about to post. When I click on pictures, I get only two things popped up. One is iChat icons, which is a folder containing a bunch of little icons. The other says "iPhoto Library." However, it is just an icon, not a folder, and I can't access my pictures from here. I am dying of frustration here! I tried opening PSE6, and it can't even import any of my pix. Every time I try, it takes me into the iPhoto program, but I can't find the .jpg photos themselves to upload.

Can someone help me PLEASE?! Thank you.

Cheers,
Sarah L

donakat
07-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, do you know a particular photo's name, like DSC 1234 or something you've named it, that you can do a general search for (Command-F in the Finder or Spotlight, search on file name on the computer as a whole)? Try that, and take note of the file's directory path (hover over the name in the Spotlight found list, and you see the name then the path, like /Users/donakat/Pictures/Summer09/DSC 1234).
That gives you the direction to get to that place iPhoto is storing the photos. I actually don't use iPhoto most of the time. I have an app from Canon that came with my camera to view and download from the camera. Then I do my own organizational system as I mentioned in my previous post. There are other apps available to keep your photos organized, too, specifically called photo cataloging applications.
You might want to go here (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1169696) for more information from Apple on how iPhoto stores pictures.

ScrapSewKnit
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks. I figured out how to locate the files from the desktop, but I still can't get them from PSE6. I got to file - open - desktop - pictures - iPhoto library and I can't get any farther than that. When I double click on the iP library, instead of opening another window/frame and showing me my picture files, it opens up the iPhoto program.

In my PC version of PSE5, I had to import all my photos into PSE before I could work with them. Do I still need to do that? Can someone tell me how, when I can't even find the files? Maybe I need to give up working w/the pictures on iP altogether. I would rather not, as I find it to be a useful program. I like the way it organizes, and I like the way it automatically makes copies so I never forget and wreck an original. I also like the auto edits - I find them to be a lot easier to use than PSE5 was.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sarah

donakat
07-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Sarah, did you try the "place" command instead of File-Open? That is, while you are in PSE with a blank page open, go to "place" and select the photo you want.
Double-clicking should only be possible from the finder, not from a PSE File-Open dialog or a place dialog, so clicking on a file in that dialog should never result in opening iPhoto.
Dona

ScrapSewKnit
07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I just tried that. It shows me all my photos, says they are .jpg images, but it won't give me the option to open/place them. I click and click and nothing happens.

ScrapSewKnit
07-31-2009, 05:11 PM
I figured it out!! I open iPhoto in one window and Photoshop in another. Then I just drag the picture I want to Photoshop. I'm sure there is a more elegant way to do it, but for now this is working. Woo hoo!! One problem down, one more to figure out. :)