PDA

View Full Version : recolour a kit

Nance47
07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi there,

Is there anyone who can tell me what the best to recolour a kit is?
How do you recolour a kit that's in grey colour?
Please help

I use pse 7.0

elenasworld
07-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I am sure there are lots of ways to recolor elements and paper

I usually start out by selecting the color I want the elments to be using the color picker tool.

Then I duplicate what I want to recolor.
I adjust the color (in PS it is Image > Adjustment > Hue/Saturation > Colorize box)
I usually start out by having the color I like selected as my foreground color, and hit the colorize box. This gives me a starting point of the color I am trying to achieve. After this, I use the sliders to tweak the color.

I also like to keep the colorized version and the original version.
I will layer the two and play around with the blending modes and the opacity levels.
I think that sometimes just by "colorizing" the item can look a bit flat

donakat
07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Nance,
There are several ways to recolor, and they each give a bit different results. Try them to see what works best for a specific task. These work in Photoshop, and should also work for PSE, though the place where you find them may be different.

1. First select the area to replace and the color you want (use the eyedropper on your palette picture). Lock the transparent pixels in the layer you're coloring, and use the color replacement brush (on the toolbar with the healing brush). This replaces the color but keeps the shading.

2. Have your color to be used already selected. Choose the Hue/Saturation adjustment (Menu item "Image"--"Adjustments"). The color you have for foreground will be used as soon as you check the box "colorize." You may need to use the sliders to adjust saturation and lightness to match the color swatch better.

3. Use a layer effect: select the layer you want to recolor, click the icon for adding a layer style--color overlay. In the dialog which appears, click in the colored box, then click on your foreground color on the toolbox. This makes the entire shape colored with the foreground color, but no shading, so adjust the opacity slider until you get the look you want (about 40-60% should do it).

4. To change only parts of an element that are already colored (not good for use on the PYP challenge elements & papers), you can also use the Replace Color option (Image--Adjustments--Replace Color). It's a little more complicated, so read your online manual about using this tool.

Hope these tips help you!
Dona

Gem
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Great tips! Thank you so much. I was having some difficulty with this too.

Nance47
07-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for all the tips and help.
I'm gonna work on it.
Glad that others are getting some help with it too.