PDA

View Full Version : What You Need To Get Started In Digital Scrapbooking

admin
09-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Congratulations on making the big decision to GO Digital!

So, let's get started!

Equipment/Software needed for Digital Scrapbooking:
Computer with at least 256 KB RAM; Mac or Windows operating system.
Digital Imaging Software that supports layers, such as Corel Paint Shop Pro (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CorelCom/Layout&c=Product_C1&cid=1155872554948&lc=en) or Adobe Photoshop (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/) / Photoshop Elements (http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2264718-10444703). (Note: All of these have 30 day free trial downloads *biggrin ). Another new and free package to try out is called GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/).

Photos available on your computer system, either by scanning or by importing digital photographs.
The Welcome Kit you received when you registered here!
Tutorials! You can find tutorials here (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/cmps_index.php?page=tutorials).

Optional Equipment/Software helpful when Digital Scrapbooking:

Organizing software: ADCSee is the perfect solution for this task. Find out more information and download a free trial by clicking on the image below.
http://www.ftjcfx.com/image-2264718-10394698
(http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2264718-10394698)
Photo quality printer and photo paper, if you want to print your layouts.
A Wacom Tablet (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm)for fun & artistic use as well as easier extractions, etc.

lisaloh74
03-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi,

I just registered. How do I get the free kit? Am very eager to get started.
Thanks + regards.

Lisa

ckbymommy
03-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Lisa, I think it comes to your email address :wink:.

HollyS
03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Yes that's correct Melanie. The welcome email you received from us has a link to download the welcome kit :)

ß°þþìë
04-09-2007, 08:28 AM
can't remember getting one, off to check the email.. sure hope I kept it..thanks

Joni
04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
I just registered and your site sent me an email that had a link in it to the free kit.

This is actually my first post here! Nice place! I'm just searching for info!!

Thanks Much! I did drop off some bucks too!! ;) lol! I had to! I just had to!

yin
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi Joni, welcome!! We have a free daily download program, so make sure you come back to get that too, those will give you a great start to play with digital!

Darla
04-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I just downloaded the 30 day free trial of Paintshop Pro. I'm eager to get to know this program. Currently I have FxFoto but it doesn't allow for layers, etc, so I'm on to new and better things! :vb_chirolp_iei:

Joni
04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Yin, thanks so much for the "welcome" and thank you for letting me know about the daily download. I was not aware of that either.

I *did* want to invest in templates, so I purchased a set of, I believe 9 or 10 templates here too! They are adorable ones for children and I *had* to have them when I saw the car on the "road". My Grandson (only Grandbaby until he becomes a big brother around Thanksgiving!) is in love with cars and trucks now! I figured that templates would be one of the best or easiest ways to get going and can't they always be used, no matter what the layout, leaving certain layers off? Was I correct about that?? I hope so! If not, I will certainly always be able to use them with him and/or the newer Grandbaby that will be here if it's a boy.

I look forward to meeting others here!

Hi Joni, welcome!! We have a free daily download program, so make sure you come back to get that too, those will give you a great start to play with digital!

Debra
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Joni... your poor poor signature.. I hope it's going better for you! If you have any questions or are stuck on something just holler... we've got some awesome psp'er guru's around here!

I'm so jealous your a Grandma... I can't wait!

oh and on the templates.. yep, you sure don't need to use every layer :) so you can make good use of them.

Also, the quickpages are even easier if you can find a theme that will work. I know we need more "kid" friendly quickpages and look for those coming soon!

Anyways, great to meet you! :tee:

Edited to add this link to Alice's wonderful Tutorial for using templates with PSP:
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121

Debra
04-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I just downloaded the 30 day free trial of Paintshop Pro. I'm eager to get to know this program. Currently I have FxFoto but it doesn't allow for layers, etc, so I'm on to new and better things! :vb_chirolp_iei:

Hi Darla!

Nice to meet you and Congrats on going to layers!! You're so gonna love the freedom and control you'll have!

If you get stuck, just holler..:wink:

shellylue
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Can you use DIP9 while doing these LO's? I am really wanting to learn what you all are doing, but I don't have the suggested programs.

Michelle:confused:

Debra
05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't use it but I sure have heard of others using it so I don't see why not... remember too that there are 30 free trials so you can try out the programs before purchasing :)

Joni
05-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Debra my "poor signature" is *very serious*!! Honestly it is!! I suppose I badly need to use PSPX before I try to do anything in digi-scrapping, huh??! DUHHHHHH ME! LOL!

I have THE Most Precious Grandson. He will be 2 in October and he's a Mess!! I *thought* I was going to have a 2nd one in Nov. of this year but at 12 weeks, *right before* dealing with my first Mother's Day since my Mama passed, she miscarried with my 2nd Grandbaby. Then my husband left me alone, home sobbing about Mama and the baby to go take his Mother out to eat. During ALL year he cannot stand her but it was as if he "rubbed it in" to me this past year. Oh, I had been invited to go, and was getting ready but he wanted to argue, so we talked a little and in conversation, he did end up telling me that "there were no changes in how he felt from last September" which means absolutely nothing to you unless I describe. :sad44: Last Sept, he told me (after 11 years of marriage) that "He no longer loved me, was no longer IN Love with me, our marriage had NO future and our marriage was over". Well, honest to God, I was in total shock. I COULD NOT believe what I had just heard. After he told me that, the next day, when I could breathe again, I asked him why and he told me "your health", which was BS and I knew it. So, we talked, after I saw an attorney and he said that he was willing to TRY a little longer to see if things changed. I wanted this marriage to last AT ALL COSTS. (THAT Is my stupid "positive attitude" showing again) Well, 7 months and 10 days later, he told me that his feelings were the same as BEFORE the 7 months and 10 days. I *should* have asked at the MONTHLY MARK but I was in counseling, then WE were in counseling, etc.

I don't know WHY I've just shared this with you all ~ I suppose I feel all comfy here. So, I see my Attorney again next week and - well - I suppose with me and him living right here together, we are going to go through all this. The thing I hate THE MOST is that for 2 years my Birthday and Christmas Gifts from my Mama was work paid to Landscapers to do my yard. The last was paid to be done last Christmas as a gift to the landscaper and Mama passed on December 29 and buried on 1/2/07. I lost my Best Friend; the Love of my Life; THE WOMAN who was THE MOST PATIENT woman on earth; the BEST GRANDMOTHER there EVER WAS; the BEST GREAT GRANDMOTHER THERE EVER WAS; the BEST Wife, most patient wife and MOST OVERLOOKING WIFE (that I called her "stupid" about) but, she was married for 59 years and 2 months until my Daddy passed in 2004. We knew She could make it without him but he could NEVER make it without her.

But, I'm trying to learn PSPX, I'm grieving for MY relationship, I'm MISSING Mama and Daddy (with Father's Day coming up) HORRIBLY. God, I had the BEST parents there ever were. Wonder why *I* am so screwed up???! Hmph! Who really knows?!

Do you have a daughter or a son, Debra? IF you have a son - like I do, Bless your heart. I feel for you, even IF she's close to you. LONG time ago, someone told me "A Daughter's A Daughter the rest of her live; a Son's a Son 'till he takes a Wife" and that is SO TRUE. When my Grandson was born 10/11/05, my dil and I had had a disagreement, minor *I* thought, but her hormones led her to have my son tell me that I WAS NOT ALLOWED *AT* the hospital in VA where he was being born, 6 hours from me. THEN my son apologized to me unmercifully ---BUT I taught him that when he married, he was to dedicate his life TOTALLY TO HIS WIFE. I had told him "Don't EVER come to me crying and/or complaining about your wife. Don't EVER put ME between the woman you marry because I will love her too". And he never had. BUT this one day he brought back those memories of his and apologized and I told him again that he is strong enough to handle things. So it hurt me really bad, probably the WORST that she could have EVER do to me but if it would make their lives ok, forget it. (BUT - somehow *I* never have forgotten it!! That really hurt.) I *DO* hope you have a DAUGHTER!!! OR I hope if you have a son, you are very, very, very close to your dil....and when she gets upset about ANYTHING, she doesn't take it out on *YOU*!!!!

I've found SO MANY PSP Tuts and I've not even tried to do a Quick Page! I *NEED* to get their Wedding Album done, since it's been Oh, well, the baby was born on their 2nd Wedding Anniversary and he will be 2 this October, so it's been almost 4 Years of Marriage for them and they will last forever!! But since I *did* promise her I would do it, I've GOT to get it done. She wants 8.5 x 11 but I've even gotten 8.5 x 11 templates!! Ones that will be great for Weddings!! I've just got to get motivated to do them!! I believe I will do them online, then print them and then add the photos, just because she likes to "feel things" on them!! She LOVES the "bulky scrapbooking" I've done numerous layouts for them - regular paper scrapping.

Since this is WAY TOO LONG, I'm gonne see if I can close this!!

I just woke up at 5:30 PM today. I was so bummed out, I literally slept all day but if I stay up all nite I will not do a darned thing tomorrow and I've got LOADS to do from what I didn't do today!! PLEASE, PLEASE, NO SYMPATHY. I DO NOT WANT THAT - AT ALL. Sure, I will take ALL of the PRAYERS that you can possibly muster up for me but NO SYMPATHY FOR ME!! I have a very positive 'tude and I can go into that later. Of course, this time, it bit me in the duff!!

Hugs!

Joni... your poor poor signature.. I hope it's going better for you! If you have any questions or are stuck on something just holler... we've got some awesome psp'er guru's around here!

I'm so jealous your a Grandma... I can't wait!

oh and on the templates.. yep, you sure don't need to use every layer :) so you can make good use of them.

Also, the quickpages are even easier if you can find a theme that will work. I know we need more "kid" friendly quickpages and look for those coming soon!

Anyways, great to meet you! :tee:

Edited to add this link to Alice's wonderful Tutorial for using templates with PSP:
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121

debbie2349
05-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone! I'm in Texas and I've just bought Photoshop Elements 5. I am trying to learn super fast but it's not working! I have done a few things in PSP 7,8, and 9 and then I thought I would see what all the talk was about switching to Photoshop Elements. I think it's going to be cool but right now I'm in a bit over my head. Hope that I can learn lots from ya'll and have some things soon to post of my own! I have been doing paper SBing for at least 10 years but stopped for 6 years because of some things going on in my life! I wish I had not stopped because now it's even harder to get back in the groove! I feel like I've lost the ability I had those years ago! I have a set date to SB with a couple of my friends on Tuesdays but find I get very little accomplished! So I'm going to give digital SB a shot! Maybe that will do the trick for me! I have lots of pictures to put onto pages of either kind! Thanks for allowing me to join your group! And I look forward to learning from all of you!

Cheers,
Debbie in TX:vb_chirolp_iei:

HollyS
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Glad you found us Debbie!

Have you tried using Templates or Quick Pages to start out with? You can participate in Alice's Template/Sketch Challenge (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38) where you can get a free template to work with and can use the welcome kit you received a link to in your welcome email to us. Here's a tutorial (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681) for how to use Templates in PSE. As always, just holler in the Calls for Help forum if you have any questions...we got lots of answers :)

Scorbin7
06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I just signed up too, and trying to navigate around and get acquainted. I saw the information about Wacom Tablet, can anyone tell me which one is the best to get? I noticed there are different sizes, 4x5 or 6x8 and maybe a word or two of how easy they are to work with. I do many of my own graphics and to plug them into a form to be able to use them on my scrapbook pages would be wonderful without having to deal with vector manipulation, would certainly make me happy. Finding this site most interesting, most knowledge friendly and a good place to talk about scrapbook pages. I just got my copy of Adobe Photo Elements and hope to start putting together my own pages. Any suggestions or advice most welcome. I will continue checking the Resources, Beginner section. Excited scapper!

Scorbin7
06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Hello Debbie in TX, I just realize a fellow Texan joined in the time I did. I just got my new Adobe Photo Elements and hope to get into it soon. I've us Adobe CS but that is pretty heavy duty software and I forget from one sitting to the next what does what. Hope APE will be easier. Maybe together we can work through the resources and help each other out with stuff and it comes up. Well, talk to all again soon. :)

MnMommy2
07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm a digi newbie, and loving digi so far. I just need to figure out what the heck i did, i downloaded a bunch of files free off the net and bought a few too. i burned them to a CD (so I thought) and opened the cd, saw the file folders and thought I was good to go and deleted the files from my hard drive. well, last night i tried to open the cd files and there is NOTHING in the folders! WTH?

I am just crushed... there are a few kits I bought that were on there, but not too many, but I cruised the internet for some awesome freebies and now most the download links have expired.

What do you all do when saving files? Do you put them on a CD, leave them on your computer or put them on a jump drive?

normswife
07-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Just joined I have Photo Shop Elements 5. No experience with digital yet hoping to learn. I am a paper scrapbooker. Not sure how to get around on this site. I did download the freebie for joining.:biggrin:

ScrappinBikerChick
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
welcome normswife! i too am a paper scrapbooker in addition to digi-scrapping. please look around and let us know if you have any questions.

the store is currently under construction...but should be back up soon!

once again....welcome! :party1::party1::party1:

normswife
07-18-2007, 09:14 AM
:biggrin:Thank you for your welcome ScrappinBikerChick

daz
07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Exciting to play with freebies as I can. Thanks for welcome me in and I will enjoying look around :biggrin:

bubbiesmamamaw
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I currently have Paint Shop Pro but have been considering Photo Impact or Photo Shop. Thanks for these tips, I am gonna be busy reading. I make signature tags now and do paper & glue scrapkits but really want to start digital scrapbooking. I have been saying for over two years that I am going to learn...now I am gonna make myself do it.

jacquie44
08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
hmmm I might have missed my welcome kit can you please resend?

jacquie44@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch
Jacquie

julie04
08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry for my English. I'm French Canadian. Just wanted to thank all of you for your wonderful site.
I make my own calender with PSP. This section will be very useful for me.

Thanks for the welcome kit. So cute!

Coolscrapbook
08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Glad to have you on board. And by the way, your english is wonderful! Hopefully we'll get to see some of your work in the gallery here.

Sincerely,

Addie

alicia+jess
09-02-2007, 12:23 AM
hi. i have been doing digital scrapbooking for a few months. Does everybody here use PSP and other programs like that? i use Scrap factory deluxe 3. Anybody else use "scrap" programs?

UK Lady
09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I use Digital Image 2006 and love the versatility of it.

Che4Grafx
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Trying to self-learn to make "scraps by scratch" and eager to start! Thanks for the tuts - any help I can get is MOST appreciated! Oh, and thanks for the wonderful free gift!!

honu69
10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi my name is Julie and i started with cross stitching then move onto to lei making with yarns, jewelry beading and now trying to scrapbooking..........but before even starting digital scrapbooking i actually just started doing an album but I just been kind of looking for ideas of layouts to do because I want to put all my photos in an album. Right now i have them in a photo box. I love trying out new things to keep me busy on my spare time.

couponclipper
01-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Hello Everyone. Im new here! I found this site off someones blog and I love it. I have been scrapbooking for five years and digial scrapping for a year now. As of reading the fourms I just now heard of tablets,AHHHH. I have a new item in my wishlist! lol. I hope to get to know you ladies and join in the challenges soon.

Debra
01-04-2008, 07:17 AM
HI There and Welcome to GDS! So glad you found us and can't wait to see you around and check out your layouts!!

kel3120
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Welcome! The challenges are so fun here, and the designers always have wonderful bonuses for participating. Can't wait to see your layouts in the gallery!

dragonsblood
01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I am not new to paint shop pro or photo shop but I am new to scrapbooking. I was basically using my programs for digital layouts and photo enhancements. i wanderer onto a site recommended by a member of one of my groups and I was hooked bad. I love this stuff and want to learn more like using the grey templates. So I hope I can get started and start filling up scrap books.
:twitcy:

cmcariann
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I currently use Creative Memories Software, but am looking for something that will help write text in a curve or curve and save it as eitehr a .jpeg or a .png also interested in what people know of GIMP as I am looking at using it on my laptop if it will run on less RAM and processor speed... my laptop is old but it is what I have..

HollyS
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I am not new to paint shop pro or photo shop but I am new to scrapbooking. I was basically using my programs for digital layouts and photo enhancements. i wanderer onto a site recommended by a member of one of my groups and I was hooked bad. I love this stuff and want to learn more like using the grey templates. So I hope I can get started and start filling up scrap books.
:twitcy:

Hi! Have you visited our tutorials section? We have some on how to use templates :)

HollyS
01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
I currently use Creative Memories Software, but am looking for something that will help write text in a curve or curve and save it as eitehr a .jpeg or a .png also interested in what people know of GIMP as I am looking at using it on my laptop if it will run on less RAM and processor speed... my laptop is old but it is what I have..

Hi, we have a tutorial on doing your first layout in GIMP. I'm not familiar with it enough to know whether you can do "Text on a Path" or save things as .jpgs or .pngs. Photoshop Elements (PSE) does do the saving you want but doesn't do the Text on the Path. Andrea has designs some products that you can use with PSE to do this for certain shapes. The full blown Photoshop or Photoshop CS2/3 packages will certainly allow you to do all that you are hoping :)

sundial1999
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I didn't get the welcome kit or deleted it without knowing what it was....I have everything I need but motivation and knowledge....HELP.....I have tried several sites but it's hard to get someone to point me in the right direction. I have seen some beautiful layouts and I want to be a part of that.....Please help out the new kid on the block....

Teresa sundial1999@yahoo.com:lmao:

Debra
04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I didn't get the welcome kit or deleted it without knowing what it was....I have everything I need but motivation and knowledge....HELP.....I have tried several sites but it's hard to get someone to point me in the right direction. I have seen some beautiful layouts and I want to be a part of that.....Please help out the new kid on the block....

Teresa sundial1999@yahoo.com:lmao:

Hi Teresa and Welcome to GDS!

I am going to hold your hand and get you through this even if it kills us both :wink:

First things first.... What program do you have to scrap with?

sundial1999
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
photoshop elements 5, photoshop 7, and cs2.......most familiar with 7.....has been a while since I've worked with these packages but have manuals to support.....thanks.....it won't kill us but make us both stronger......:wub1:

rosario
05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Hello, my name is Rosario, I' m Uruguay citizen, my lenguage is spanish I' a lot of dificulties for undestan you and you understand me. So I go to write un my lenguage:

Hola, me llamo Rosario, y soy Uruguaya. Uruguay es un pequeño paìs, al sur de sudamerica. Mi lengua es el español y temo que me sea dificil comunicarme con ustedes aunque quisiera poder integrarme al grupo.

El programa que uso hace años es el Pain shop pro en sus diversas versiones hasta la versión nueve, que es la que más uso...

He confeccionado scraps, a partir de lo que he podido ver en la net y de lo que conozco del manejo de dicho programa.

Los scraps que he hecho son para mi uso personal y para otras chicas del foro de taggers de psp al que frecuento...

Me encanta lo que he descuierto con el scrapooking para hacer mis tags...
No sé qué más decirles...
Un gusto estar acá y saludos a todas.:wink:

Sexy__Eyes
05-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Hola Rosario,
Yo comprendo un poco espanol. Real basic lol. Bienvenido a GDS y optimistamente otra persona podrá ayudarle mejor que puedo.

Heres what she said, well not exactly but after its translated.

Hello, I call me Rosary, and I am Uruguayan. Uruguay is a small one paìs, to the south of sudamerica. My tongue is Spanish and I am afraid that be me dificil to communicate me with you although wanted to be able to integrate me to the group.

The program that use years ago is the Pain shop for in its diverse versions to the version nine, that is the one that more use...

I have concocted scraps, from what I have been able to see in the net and of what I know of the management of said program.

The scraps that have done are for my personal use and for other girls of the forum of taggers of psp to which I frequent...

I love what there I am descuierto with the scrapooking to do my tags... I do not know what more to tell them... A flavor to be here and greetings to all.

sundial1999
05-10-2008, 07:24 PM
sorry but i can only understand english....it was very nice of you to answer .... i ask questions on here and other sites but don't get many answers....

thanks, teresa

Stash Empress
05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I have a kind of newbie question, I hope you experienced ladies can give me some advice. I've been doing digital scrapping for about 6 months, but just got DSL last week... well, as my daughter said, "If you give a mom a modem..." LOL! So you can imagine what I've been doing the past week LOL! Now moving right along --- golly, my new-last-year-computer with 80GB Hard Drive is suddenly amazing almost full :wink: I've been backing up my files religiously to DVDs (yes, and checking the dvds to be sure the files are really there!) -- that's fine for backup, but can't see scrapping from a stack of DVDs & figure its time to get an external Hard Drive to move my kits & photos to. Can anyone give me any recommendations here? I saw one on Amazon.com by Iomega, 500GB, abt. $115. Is that a good price? A good drive? Anything else I need to know????

Thanks!
Margaret

sundial1999
05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
You could go with the external hard drive or keep backing up your files....I installed a bigger hard drive and then reinstalled the files I wanted. I don't like working with CD's and then have to still reinstall to extract the files. I'm not to great yet the digital scrapbooking but I'm trying too. I have SOOOOO many stickers, inks, stamps, supplies, etc. that I need to use them since I have so much invested in them. My supply is so large I won't run out for a while. Want to do one book just for digital while still working on the traditional scrapbooking......

Teresa:balloons:

Stash Empress
05-13-2008, 06:24 AM
You could go with the external hard drive or keep backing up your files....I installed a bigger hard drive and then reinstalled the files I wanted. I don't like working with CD's and then have to still reinstall to extract the files. I'm not to great yet the digital scrapbooking but I'm trying too. I have SOOOOO many stickers, inks, stamps, supplies, etc. that I need to use them since I have so much invested in them. My supply is so large I won't run out for a while. Want to do one book just for digital while still working on the traditional scrapbooking......

Teresa:balloons:

Install a bigger hard drive??? In my computer???? Like instead of the one I already have there???? (OK who can tell I'm clueless here? LOL!!!) Then you have to reinstall the gazillion programs & files you already had there, no? Isn't that kind of like gutting the whole house & renovating when all you really want is one more big closet added on???? Can you explain further?

Is there a downside to moving scrapbooking files to an external hard drive? I really know *nothing* about this -- except that I've got less than 5gb of space left on my C drive, so I've got to do *something*! I already have my files backed up on DVDs but can't imagine scrapping from there --- switching back & forth among a stack of DVDs looking for *that* paper.. and then again for *that* frame... and again for *that other* frame... etc.....

:confused1:
Margaret

twirlyjoy
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Install a bigger hard drive??? In my computer???? Like instead of the one I already have there???? (OK who can tell I'm clueless here? LOL!!!) Then you have to reinstall the gazillion programs & files you already had there, no? Isn't that kind of like gutting the whole house & renovating when all you really want is one more big closet added on???? Can you explain further?

Is there a downside to moving scrapbooking files to an external hard drive? I really know *nothing* about this -- except that I've got less than 5gb of space left on my C drive, so I've got to do *something*! I already have my files backed up on DVDs but can't imagine scrapping from there --- switching back & forth among a stack of DVDs looking for *that* paper.. and then again for *that* frame... and again for *that other* frame... etc.....

:confused1:
Margaret

Ok, my advice may be different to other people's, but comes from experience! lol!! Originally, I had an external hard drive for the very same reason as you - my internal hard drive was chock-a-block full. However, that crashed and it cost me a small fortune to retrieve everything!!

Anyway, the advice I then got was, unless you need your extra hard drive to be moveable (ie between a laptop/desktop etc which it doesn't sound as though you need), then an extra internal hard drive is better as it is more reliable and they are less likely to fail.

So, that is what I have - my original internal hard drive has all of my programmes on it, and the new one has all of my files. So, you don't need to reinstall anything at all.

HTH :)

Stash Empress
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok, my advice may be different to other people's, but comes from experience! lol!! Originally, I had an external hard drive for the very same reason as you - my internal hard drive was chock-a-block full. However, that crashed and it cost me a small fortune to retrieve everything!!

Anyway, the advice I then got was, unless you need your extra hard drive to be moveable (ie between a laptop/desktop etc which it doesn't sound as though you need), then an extra internal hard drive is better as it is more reliable and they are less likely to fail.

So, that is what I have - my original internal hard drive has all of my programmes on it, and the new one has all of my files. So, you don't need to reinstall anything at all.

HTH :)

OHhhhhh -- you mean get a *second* internal hard drive -- not replace the existing one.... ahhhh... much better... I think.... OK -- so this sounds like you have to send the computer into the shop kind of job, right? About how much does it cost to put in a 2nd internal HD (compared to the price of an external HD that you take out of the box & plug in yourself)???

As for the external ones crashing -- but didn't you have those files backed up onto CDs or DVDs? I know everyone talks about the high cost of data retrieval... so I'm guessing I'm missing something here & its something more involved than copying over from a stack of DVDs???

(Our first computer had a hard drive of all of 2MB -- yes, those are "m"s & not "g"s :laugh: that was about 15yrs ago)

twirlyjoy
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
OHhhhhh -- you mean get a *second* internal hard drive -- not replace the existing one.... ahhhh... much better... I think.... OK -- so this sounds like you have to send the computer into the shop kind of job, right? About how much does it cost to put in a 2nd internal HD (compared to the price of an external HD that you take out of the box & plug in yourself)???

As for the external ones crashing -- but didn't you have those files backed up onto CDs or DVDs? I know everyone talks about the high cost of data retrieval... so I'm guessing I'm missing something here & its something more involved than copying over from a stack of DVDs???

Getting the internal one fitted was cheaper than buying a new external one, but that might be different over there to here!

As far as having my stuff backed up, I had most of it backed up, but not the most recent photos which were of my dd's Christmas play - my routine was to back up at the end of the month, but that meant that everything during that month was lost :(

Also, when they do the data retrieval, they have to scan to retrieve EVERYTHING - I couldn't say "I only want you to scan for my Christmas play photos and not anything else" - and I had a 250 GB external hard drive, so they had to scan all of it. This may be different for other types of faults, but it was the case for me!!

Now, I have my 2 internal hard drives which have 1 copy of everything on, my external hard drive (which they managed to fix!) with another copy of everything which I back up to at the end of every day, and another 2 copies on Cds.

Stash Empress
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Getting the internal one fitted was cheaper than buying a new external one, but that might be different over there to here!

As far as having my stuff backed up, I had most of it backed up, but not the most recent photos which were of my dd's Christmas play - my routine was to back up at the end of the month, but that meant that everything during that month was lost :(

Also, when they do the data retrieval, they have to scan to retrieve EVERYTHING - I couldn't say "I only want you to scan for my Christmas play photos and not anything else" .

And my husband laughs at me that I keep all the good stuff on SD card forever! :rolleyes1: He seems to think that after you d/l your photos to the computer, you should then delete them from the camera.... I figure I'd rather buy a new SD card when the old one gets full -- and have them as one additional backup -- this way even if I lose the photos from the computer, I still have the originals -- at worst I've lost whatever editting I'd done (red eyes, cropping, etc.) --- of course when I edit a photo I always save with a new name so I can still keep the original! (Anyone want to know why my HD is filling up??? :laugh:)

Of course now that I'm *also* downloading photos from my married kids SD cards (so much better than in the "olden days" when grandparents had to wait till the kids made reprints of their photos --- I get them straight off the camera :biggrin: (But I have a feeling my kids are keeping their SD cards intact to... so... no biggie LOL!)

Silly question -- do you keep one set of backup CDs at another location? Just in case something happened to your computer desk -- where all 5 copies are sitting next to one another? Not that I've got anything on mine serious enough to put in the bank LOL -- but I was thinking of keeping one spare set of DVDs at my daughter's house or something like that.

Anyone do that?

Kat
05-14-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm glad for this thread just for newbies. This forum is quite overwhelming! I'll try out one of the programs you suggested. I'm just starting out in digi-scrapping, so I'm glad for any help I can get!:biggrin:

Gem
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm a digi newbie, and loving digi so far. I just need to figure out what the heck i did, i downloaded a bunch of files free off the net and bought a few too. i burned them to a CD (so I thought) and opened the cd, saw the file folders and thought I was good to go and deleted the files from my hard drive. well, last night i tried to open the cd files and there is NOTHING in the folders! WTH?

I am just crushed... there are a few kits I bought that were on there, but not too many, but I cruised the internet for some awesome freebies and now most the download links have expired.

What do you all do when saving files? Do you put them on a CD, leave them on your computer or put them on a jump drive?

Hi MnMommy!

If you are on a PC and you are using Windows XP, then you can probably "recover" your deleted files from your recycle bin. Just find the recycle bin which is usually located on your desktop and open it. Look to find the files you deleted and "restore them". Either remember the names or write them down and you can do a "search" on your computer to find that name. Then you will know where they are.

After that you can create a folder called SB downloads or something like that and download all your stuff in there until you set up a file folder system on your computer for your digital files.

Hope this helps.
BTW-It is a good idea to always back up your files.

lidjen
06-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Hi all I just join this forum and I hope I can learn mor on how to digi lol

scrappin.doodle
07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm excited to be here and had no idea there was a kit for joining..woohoo.. what a nice surprise.. I'll check my email in a bit.. Anyway, I've been looking around and so far I'm quite impressed, looks like a lot of fun!! I'll key ya's around the boards and I'll be sure to ask questions if I come across any.. :) Have a great day everyone..:wink:

PS and I just love the smilies in here.. hehe:biggrin:

mrsduke2u
07-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Im new here and just registered but I never recieved a free kit... where can I find that or how do I go about getting it? Thanks

Korica
10-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi, i just registered and your site sent me an email that had a link to the free kit.
I`m downloading it. I`m from Russia, and my english is pure- sorry for my mistakes:balloons:

koala123
12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi all
I have just d/l the welcome kit and it's very pretty, thankyou

Korica Your english is a lot better than my Russian LOL

rspoutra
03-21-2009, 05:13 AM
and would like your expert opinion on using it? Worth the expense? Easy to use? Finished extraction easy to put in Photoshop Elements? Thanks for your advice.

Angel Mercy
03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Hello,
I just Joined Today, Wondering How To Get The Free Kit To Start??

China
04-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I am new to your site as well.

I went through the things needed and I think that I'm set. I just d/l the Welcome Gift.

I am anxious to start learning Scrapping.

Hubby is off to work tonight, so I am here all night by myself. Keeping my fingures crossed that I don't get too lost.

elenasworld
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
good luck China!
Have fun scrapping -- if you have questions, there should be someone around who can help out

karbi
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I really hope I can find my welcome email. Wish me luck!

China
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Hope that you found your Welcome email karbi.

It was an awesome prezzie.

lakin71
06-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I am new to this, I just stumbled onto it from Scrappin blogs...I am so excited. I am a painter but this just looks like so much fun. An avenue to create another way. Cool!

j_camargo6
06-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Welcome Lakin71! Be prepared to be addicted, LOL! Be sure and holler if you have any questions!

donakat
06-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Welcome from another Californian. I'll look forward to seeing your layouts. I've seen lots of artistic pages that are a lot like painting, so you may enjoy doing that sort of thing to start with. Everyone here is friendly and helpful, and I'm sure you'll enjoy our challenges and treats!
Dona

mskinsey
06-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me a little help. I started digiscrapping last year when I lost my job and had more free time at home to spend on this wonderful hobby. I actually turned out a couple of pages from scratch! Then my motherboard died, and RadioShack sent my computer off for repairs to Puerto Rico in early January. Well, it didn't come back in 6 weeks like the salesperson said; it was more like 2 months. That was actually okay, though, because my apartment was robbed in February, and if my computer had been there, it would have been gone for good. :wink:

In the meantime, I also managed to bust my Achilles tendon while on vacation in Dominica, the "nature island" of the Caribbean. What a beautiful island! I'm lucky that I didn't fall while hiking to the Boiling Lake or Trafalgar Falls! Long story short, I couldn't sit with my feet down for a long time because of the swelling, so now, between the injury to my computer and to my foot, I seem to have forgotten everything I figured out how to do last fall. I was using Adobe Elements at the time, and now I can't even find that program on my machine.

When I opened the program I could find--Photoshop 7, I believe--I didn't know how to get the layer function to work for me. I opened a new 12x12 page and imported a background paper all right, but everything else after that went on top of the background paper and I couldn't move anything around. When I tried to use PaintShopPro, the .png files didn't work.

What do I have to do to get the layers working again?! Thanks very much for your help in advance. I am really puzzled by this ... :head_hurts_kr:

elenasworld
06-14-2009, 03:16 PM
that is some "luck" you have been having

I use PhotoshopCS2 and CS4
all I do is open a blank document and drag the file I want to use into the blank space of the screen.
I will then drag this layer into my new document.
After I have done this I close the original, so I dont overwrite it or save it after I have edited it.

hope this helps

amcsmith
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I dont think I got the email for the free kit

SallyW
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone! I am a newbie here!!! I am going to start using Photoshop Elements - I am going to do the free trial to see if I like it. I LOVE LOVE what I have seen so far in digiscrapping and can't wait to get started. I have a lot of free time at work but I am very frustrated because I work in the financial industry and there are very tight restrictions as far as websites you can access, etc...so I can't put any software on my work computer...errrrr....so, I will have to wait until I get home and open my welcome kit and get started!!!!

I am a little overwhelmed, it seems like there is just soooo much out there for digiscrapping!!!!!!!

donakat
07-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Welcome, Sally!
I'm sure you will love working with the GDS welcome kit, and if you're online each day you can pick up extra freebies from the Daily Download. They are always great additions to your stash. And, if you join particular challenges you may get other freebies to use in the challenge, or at least a posting bonus. The owners and designers here are very generous and friendly, so all of us reap the benefits AND get to have FUN! I look forward to seeing your layouts in the gallery.
Dona

Hi everyone! I am a newbie here!!! I am going to start using Photoshop Elements - I am going to do the free trial to see if I like it. I LOVE LOVE what I have seen so far in digiscrapping and can't wait to get started. I have a lot of free time at work but I am very frustrated because I work in the financial industry and there are very tight restrictions as far as websites you can access, etc...so I can't put any software on my work computer...errrrr....so, I will have to wait until I get home and open my welcome kit and get started!!!!

I am a little overwhelmed, it seems like there is just soooo much out there for digiscrapping!!!!!!!

susiegirl
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Question: I am new to digital scrapbooking and trying to learn. Instead of just jumping in I am reading as much as I can. After I open a template, paper, etc. should I duplicate it to use in a layout or just use it?
Thanks for any help

donakat
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
What I do is start a new layout the size I want, with transparent background, at 300dpi. Then I open whatever papers, elements, and photos I wish to include, and drag them onto the layout (each comes in on its own new layer). That way you never run the risk of messing up the original files of papers or elements or photos. After dragging them into your layout, you can edit them if you need to change colors, size, sharpen or change mode on photos, etc.

When you're using a template, you can just open that up and immediately save it under a new name, or use the Duplicate Image command. Then you can drag in your individual elements and papers according to the template arrangement.

Great tactic to read up and use the tutorials and "For Beginners" sections (under Resources on the top menu) of the website. There's a lot there to get you going. If you need extra help, Andrea Gold teaches great classes for Photoshop and Elements, and Illustrator. Daphne Whitley has great classes for PaintShopPro and Photography. And, you can always ask questions on the forum and someone will be happy to help you out.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with--don't forget to post your layout to the Gallery!

Dona

Question: I am new to digital scrapbooking and trying to learn. Instead of just jumping in I am reading as much as I can. After I open a template, paper, etc. should I duplicate it to use in a layout or just use it?
Thanks for any help

SallyW
07-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Welcome, Sally!
I'm sure you will love working with the GDS welcome kit, and if you're online each day you can pick up extra freebies from the Daily Download. They are always great additions to your stash. And, if you join particular challenges you may get other freebies to use in the challenge, or at least a posting bonus. The owners and designers here are very generous and friendly, so all of us reap the benefits AND get to have FUN! I look forward to seeing your layouts in the gallery.
Dona

Thank you so much for the warm welcome Dona! I look forward to really getting into this!! I am so excited! :D

chocolatteme
09-17-2009, 03:39 PM
new here!! got my welcome kit and it's adorable thank you so much to whoever sends them :D

i have paint shop pro but kinda unsure of how to use it for scrapbooking, like if i want to resize it to print or anything

chookbrown
12-09-2009, 05:29 AM
I must be getting old or something... I had NO IDEA such a thing existed. I must have been under a rock... eager to learn more... I just didn't want to buy soooo many scrapbooking items but wanted nice pages for my daughters... surely this has to be quicker and more cost effective?? Off to look at EVERYTHING!:laugh:

HollyS
12-09-2009, 05:47 AM
We just announced this week something just up your alley!

It's the perfect gift for all of your friends and family who always wanted to know, "how do you do that?"

Introducing the GDS Beginner Gift Pack (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=154&products_id=5559)!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/_collab/gds_beggiftpack.jpg (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=154&products_id=5559)

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/_collab/gds_beggiftpack_01.jpg

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/_collab/gds_beggiftpack_02.jpg (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=154&products_id=5559)

Our Beginner Gift Pack contains everything needed for the beginner Digital Scrapbooker to get up and running easily in this wonderful hobby of capturing your family keepsakes!

Beginner Gift Pack Includes:

"Getting Started in Digital Scrapbooking" cd (Includes link to download your own trial version of Adobe's Photoshop Elements).
(1) GDS Beginner Photoshop Elements goDigital Class
(1) GDS Printing Service to print your first 12 x 12 layout
(1) Product Supply cd loaded with everything you need to scrap layout upon layout to include:
8 Page Kits, 6 WordArt Packs, 2 Template Sets, 2 Alphas, 9 Quickpages and 1 Brag Book.
30% off Coupons good for Debra Anderson and Holly Ann Designs entire GDS Store.
Great for yourself or as a wonderful gift!

Total Retail Value Over $120!

rlgillette
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello everyone, I just signed up and am new to digi scrapping.
I have been taking online lessons in PSp, animation, and doing a lot of tutorials online, but have not really tried the scrapping and making my own scrap sets. I admire all those beautiful set's I see across the web. So I just had to try my hand at it.
Looking forward to learning from everyone.
Rhonda in Oregon:rolleyes1:

donakat
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Welcome, Rhonda! We hope you like our place here, and we look forward to seeing your layouts. Join in on a challenge--it's a great way to get your feet wet and learn by doing.

kmshep01
06-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Is there anyone out there that uses Gimp?????

I downloaded Gimp as i'm using serif digital scrapbook artist at the mo and find it REALLY basic, It loaded fab after downloading but now refuses to load past the fonts bit, HELP!!!!!

I'm still new to digi scraping but really love it and want to be able to try using templates etc but can't get them to work on serif loved gimp when i actually got to use it.

SparkysGirl
06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Is there anyone out there that uses Gimp?????

I downloaded Gimp as i'm using serif digital scrapbook artist at the mo and find it REALLY basic, It loaded fab after downloading but now refuses to load past the fonts bit, HELP!!!!!

I'm still new to digi scraping but really love it and want to be able to try using templates etc but can't get them to work on serif loved gimp when i actually got to use it.

Did you ever get your problem with your software resolved? Hope you're doing ok! I just noticed this message ... sorry ...!

Hope you're busy scrapping as I type!!!!

kmshep01
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Did you ever get your problem with your software resolved? Hope you're doing ok! I just noticed this message ... sorry ...!

Hope you're busy scrapping as I type!!!!

No it just doesn't like me, tried downloading it again etc but no luck.:confused1: Trying to convince hubby that i NEED ADOBE.CREATIVE.SUITE.5 so fingers crossed he'll take pitty on me.:wink: I have some lovely templates that i want to use.

SparkysGirl
06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
No it just doesn't like me, tried downloading it again etc but no luck.:confused1: Trying to convince hubby that i NEED ADOBE.CREATIVE.SUITE.5 so fingers crossed he'll take pitty on me.:wink: I have some lovely templates that i want to use.

Did you know that you can download a 30 day trial for free at the Adobe site? Maybe that will get you through till you get your software. Plus, you might find Photoshop Elements to be exactly what you need without the huge price. I have both ... but, I'm very new to CS5. I find that 90% of the time I fall back on PSE7. I'm hoping to take the Intermediate class from Andrea in July. Good luck!!!!!

Darlene Currie
06-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I would totally suggest that! Great reference Lisa. In downloading the 30-day trial, I'd make sure you have enough time set aside so you really get the full benefit of testing the program and the time it takes to learn it. It's pretty much what you might call an "industry standard" now along with Photoshop Elements, which is cheaper than buying the whole CS bundle. A lot of people start off with "Elements" and it's a totally great way to start

I'm not familiar with the GIMP application, so I'm sorry, but I can't help you out with that. Hopefully you will find something within your budget that you can use, because it does open some wonderful doors that's for sure! Good luck!