PDA

View Full Version : Need your input please

britnkaysmemaw2
06-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I am having some major computer issues. My Desktop is several years old, and has finally started to die a slow death, which in turn has caused my EHD to have issues and I fear I may have lost all my scrapbook files. :hairpull::cry:

My question is all of you is....Do you use a Laptop or a Desktop for your main computer. I know I am going to have to get a new one, and just need your input.

Thanks.....

agarzaldynrd
06-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I use a laptop. I prefer a pc and tried working with a Mac and had a difficult time. Perhaps it's just me!!!

stater
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I use a PC.

elenasworld
06-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I have been a desktop PC person forever. My EHD (two dedicated to my stuff) and photos and digisupplies are all tied to that. (i also make hard copy back ups to DVD)

For Christmas dh got me a laptop, and I love it. I do almost all of my scrapping on the laptop since I can still watch the little one and some TV at night too. I only keep some of my digi supplies and photos on the laptop, and use a thumb drive to grab photos and supplies I want to scrap with. that is a big pain, but I have far too many photos to be able to have them all on my laptop, so I bear with it.

Hope that all your supplies and photos are safe
my fingers are crossed for you

emst
06-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I have a laptop and I love it, it goes where ever I go and since I'm always traveling I can take it with me. I like that the laptops don't take up as much space on my desk, gives me more room for other stuff. My DH put in a new hard drive for it 250GB so I can have photos and my kits with me at all times. I do however have all my scrapbook pages on DVD's except the ones that I've done this past month, they are on my laptop and EHD. I back everything up on my EHD and also my DH backs up my kits, photos and layouts onto our extra computer.
Hope you don't lose anything, that would be awful.

daisydilly
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
i use a pc. i have all my files backed up on flash drives. i would love a laptop but can't afford one. hope you don't lose all your files

IntenseMagic
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I use a laptop...have for years now and I love it!! I like being able to be wherever my children are and still scrap! As well as being able to take it on vacation or wherever I may go!

adriana
06-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I use a pc it is more practical for me my hands I guess their kind to big for the laptop.
However, I would like to tell you that there are technicians who can ghosts your data on your external hard drive or c drive on your computer which all your information will be multiplied to your new (either laptop or pc).:wink:

lazyscrapper
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I would say laptops are convient and we can scrap anywhere but they lead to bad posture and possible neck issues with long term use(sorry I'm a physical therapist and laptops are the cause of the majority of my neck and upper back patients)

An option I often suggest is kinda do both. Get a laptop so you have the portability but also get a good monitor. What you need at you desk is a docking station. The laptop acts as the CPU and you plug it into your monitor. You also attach an external mouse and keyboard so you don't have to use that stupid little pad on the laptop(I hate that thing). BUT when you want to be on the go you just unplug the laptop and off you go.

I hope you get your scrap stuff and photos back. I've seen enough commenst about this that i think I am finally going to back my stuff up on discs. Don't want ot chance it. But I think I need to get organized first, lol.

donakat
06-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm a total Mac person, and I use both laptop and desktop. The scrapbook stuff is all on an EHD, so it can go wherever I need it. My laptop goes with me wherever I travel, making it convenient for me to continue doing stuff.

My advice is to make sure you've backed up everything you want to have before the PC dies, and it will, it's just a matter of time. I had a Mac desktop die on me recently, and fortunately only lost about a week's worth of files. Hard drives die, too, so if you can, keep the EHD stuff backed up another way, too--like on DVD.

I love Macs and think they are superb for any kind of graphic work, and I highly recommend them. I certainly recommend the operating system over Microsoft's continual problems in that area. I do know it's hard to switch, tho.

sparkyllc1
06-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I use desktop with two monitors - two external drives and a couple of usb flash drives. I'm just not cooridnated enough to work on a laptop. I have an HP with Vista OS.

Ladye
06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I am a PC user by choice, I have a laptop for those times I get to travel or the PC is acting weird. WHen I travel by car, I just take my monitor off the PC and it goes with me. I just cannot scrap on the laptop becuase the wide screen makes things look strange to me, really prefer the full screen mode. I also take my EHDs with me when I travel if I plan to do any scrapping other wise I just take one that has a few things on it, so I can do my freebie search every evening and have space to download all the goodies I find that I want.

At home I use the laptop when I need to use the scanner, set it up in the other room and can still have space on my desk for other things. After the scanning session is finished I move the files to the server and then to my own drive, that way they are in 2 dofferent places and I still do not have the laptop drie all filled up.

britnkaysmemaw2
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all your great input ladies. I have been able to access my files from my EHD on my DH computer. It is acting a little wierd but hopefully I can get stuff backed up this week to DVD.
I think I will probably go with a desktop again. Guess it depends on what kind of a deal I can find.
Thanks again for everyones help.I do know I learned one lesson, and that is Back-up to more than just the EHD for sure!!!!!!

Andrea
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I have both a desktop and a laptop. I use my desktop to do all of my designing because it has more features and capability for the money. I use my laptop to do my scrapbooking because I don't need all of the extra power for that. I have an external portable EHD that I sync up to both to keep the files straight.

MissLilly
06-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I am on a PC,I really hope that you don't lose your files xox