PDA

View Full Version : Elements (read for Digi-Scrap chat!!)

TaraP
03-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Okay,, this thread is to help those coming to my chat Thursday and to help me as I can refer to it during the chat and keep up with what I am talking about. :wink:

Embellishments. Besides the fact that you can add all different types to your layouts ranging from one or two,, to a couple dozen,, guess what? There are at least 4 dozen different types as well. I know a lot of people are using ACDsee and it's a great tool to organize your stash of digital scrapbooking items. But by the time I had learned about ACDsee I had already organized my stash this way and I have at least 23 gigs worth of digital products so I wasn't going to start over! If you are a newbie and start organizing with ACDsee right away absolutely,, it's a fabulous tool to use. If you are a newbie and don't want to purchase another program then you can try this method. Oh, one thing to remember,, I have a 160gig external hard drive so I have tons of space to organize my items this way.

First of all. All of my recently purchased items stay on my laptops hard drive for at least a month. Depends on how much I create and how much I purchase. Usually I have enough to burn a dvd at the end of each month, if it's not a huge amount I save using an extra dvd and burn at the end of the next month. It depends,, you have to play with that sometimes. Some people make it a rule to burn all pictures, layouts and new digi-scrap items at the end of each month onto cd or dvd. That's up to each persons own preference. It would save you a large headache though if something happens to your hard drive.

So organizing your stash. On my external hard drive (or this can be your regular hard drive) I have a folder named "Scrap Downloads". Inside I have 16 folders. They are named as follows:

Actions
Alphas
Brushes
Doodles and Shapes
Elements
Kits (full)
Kits (mini)
Layered templates (templates, speedbytes, sketch templates, designers tend to call these by lots of different names)
Overlays
Paper packs
Paper templates (I have this one for designing paper for the store you all probably won't have this one)
Papers solids (cause I have enough of them to justify making a separate folder for them, you might want to keep them in the paper packs folder)
Premade albums (quickpages)
Scraplifts (where I save thumbnails of layouts I want to scraplift)
Shape templates (you may or may not have any)
Sketches (before layered templates there were sketches, flattened examples of a page)

Okay,, got that! I know it's a lot to take in,, wait we are only getting started!

The biggest part of this project is sorting. When I sorted my stuff originally it was 18 gigs worth. It took me three days to do it. Thank goodness I was off from work those days. I was determined to NOT scrap till it was done so I HAD to finish.

So in the above mentioned folders you see Elements, Kits (full), kits (mini) and paper packs. Anything I bought that was only a paper pack went in that folder. Mini kits went into mini kits folder. Larger full kits went into the Kits (full) folder. Now where do I get the Elements folder from. Well, obviously any element pack would go in this folder. Any elements from a mini-kit or full kit would also go in there. Yes that means that on my external hard drive I have doubles of items. I know, I know,, the space I am taking up. But it gives me the option of looking at an entire kit together in one folder if I want to use only that kit for a layout,,, OR,, it gives me the option of looking in my elements folder at literally hundreds of elements and picking out all different ones to mix and match.

So when I open my elements folder it looks like this:

http://pineapplespost.com/images/elementsexample_web.jpg

Now that view is only a small view of the folders inside. I actually have 52 folders inside my elements folder. YES,, you've read that right,, 52. Don't panic!!!! it's okay. you may not have as nearly as many elements as I have. Besides I have also done things like take all my staples and made a folder just for them because I have so many different types. But most people would keep their staples inside the "fasteners" folder. They could also be kept inside the "metals" folder. This isn't anything written in stone,, it's a guideline to work with. I learned this from another designer and then adapted it to meet my needs. Same thing for all of you. Take it one step at a time and see what you will need. If it means taking a piece of paper out and writing it down by all means do so.

Now the folders. Okay,, deep breath,, here we go:

Beads and crystals (bling)
Binder clips
Bookplates
bows and tag toppers
brads
buckles and slides
buttons
charms
chenille, assorted
coasters
dated items (like pngs that look like date stamps but aren't brushes)
decorative patches
envelope ties
envelopes
fabric, assorted
fasteners (misc)
felt, assorted
fibers and strings
file tabs
flowers
frames
glitter accents
journaling pieces
labels - fabric
labels - paper
lace
metals
misc (good god with all these folders do you know I actually STILL have stuff in this one)
negative strips and polaroids
paint accents
paper piercings
paper tears
photo corners
photo frames and borders
photo prongs
ribbons
ric rac
sequins
shadow boxes
stamps
stapled ribbons
staples
stitches
swirls and scrolls
tags
tape
tape measures
tickets
trims
twill pieces
words and words art
zippers

Are you all still with me??? or did you give up. Please,, please, don't give up. :wink:

I am extremely obsessive and that is why I separated them down into so many categories. I know that there are several folders that can be combined together,, for example ribbons and ric rac in reality could be together. Again NEVER hesitate to change this and make your own arrangement. Do what works best for you.

So,, I am going to end this thread here. I fear that if I go any further you will all fall to the floor dizzy! :twitcy: Read it over. See how it could work with your Digi-Scrap stash and join me Thursday night in the chat room at 9pm. and we'll discuss it all. Options, variations,,, and all the questions I am sure you all have now that I confused the heck out of you all!:confused1:

See ya Thursday!!
Tara

TaraP
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
:bump: Just bumpin this up so people can see it.:bump:

CrayonQueen
03-14-2007, 08:36 AM
I would like to thank you Tara, for taking the time to write all of this up for our benefit. For me personally, I found it EXTREMELY helpful. Especially, the way that you listed all of the folders that you have for your elements, like you said, it gives me a guideline to start my organizing.....and I needed that guideline very much!! :eek:

I reeeally hope to remember to make it to chat tomorrow night....i'll have to tie a string to my finger or something..... :p

babydoe
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I like your organization. So far, I have several categories under embellishments, but I haven't gotten them down to sub-categories like I want them. That is on my someday list. I still need to get lots of downloads out of my holding file and into categories in my supplies file so I can at least have a chance at finding them. See you at the Chat tomorrow.

TaraP
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
just another bump

looking forward to seeing you all at the chat tomorrow,, Thursday night at 9pm (eastern us time)

Cherry47
03-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Do you think I'm crazy for printing all my kits out or do you think I should do it like you have Tara? What are the pro's and con's. If you don't have time to answer, I'll wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

redring
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
awww! I work evenings. thats it! I forbade you all to have anything fun without me!!!........did it work? No? darn well i guess yull all just have to tell me how much fun you had. :)

casey4
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Great information - gave me some of the names of what the elements are called.

ckbymommy
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Do you think I'm crazy for printing all my kits out or do you think I should do it like you have Tara? What are the pro's and con's. If you don't have time to answer, I'll wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Cherry, I print all of mine, too. I like to keep kits together because I like to at least start with matching stuff from one kit. Then if I want to mix and match from other kits I can still go through my binders and find whatever I am looking for. I *do*, however, want to create some sort of indexing system (with the type of item, subcatagory, color, kit and designer name, and which DVD that kit is on) on my computer so I can easily find a red flower if needed or find a kit by a specific designer.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone tonight.

Debra
03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow Tara.. this is very informative... Great Job! Glad everyone's having fun getting organized...

ScrapGrl
03-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Oh dang. I missed the chat. :no:

Cherry47
03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks CKBYMOMMY I think I will continue to print my kits but I will try to organize them on my computer also. I missed the chat but when I did come in, a few of you were still there that and gave me some great info. Thanks a lot and I enjoyed talking with you all.

Maisie
03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh crap... I missed it! I thought it was tonight!!!
:(

But anyway... this is a good start for me.
I've been working in ACDSee. But now I can oranginze them in folders like this.

creative
03-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I love how you have organized all your downloads. My question is how do you name them so that you know who created the items and where it came from?

TaraP
03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I name each item by the designer and the type of elements it is... most designers these days do this already for you but if it's an older kit that isn't done that way I rename the item.

For example a flower by me would be taraparks_element_pinkflower.

You could use the name of the kits the item came from as well so that you know what kit it came from,,that's up to you.

Hope this helped!
Tara

bay_girl
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Seems I am the only one that this system didnt work for.
What I have had to do is keep the entire kit in tact. I have folders for certian themes and each kit is assigned a theme
Seasons with subfolders for each season
Holidays with subfolders for each holiday
Baby & Kids
General Family
Misc

you get the idea. They are also backed up on dvd in the same manner, each theme has its own dvd.

taslle
03-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Well I just did my first 20 gig of all my scrap booking supplies!

I followed your suggestions and wow it helps. Especially since most of that 20 gig went onto DVD's so I have HD space again (only have a 38 gig hd).

I also made jpg's of each item and made a file that is listed. Each file coresponds to a folder name. This way at a quick glance I know what is in them. These are for my DVD's only.

So thank you so much for helping me get organized fast and simply!

:vb_chirolp_iei:

casey4
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
That's an idea - a jpg of the kit that has more details than the previews.