PDA

View Full Version : S4H/Commerical use

daisydilly
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
could someone explain to me the difference between scrap 4 hire (i'm taking that to mean you can get money for creating a layout) and commerical use. I've gotten a few kits that i know for certain i can make layouts with and charge a fee but i really need to know the difference before i go any further.

j_camargo6
05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
could someone explain to me the difference between scrap 4 hire (i'm taking that to mean you can get money for creating a layout) and commerical use. I've gotten a few kits that i know for certain i can make layouts with and charge a fee but i really need to know the difference before i go any further.

This is a REALLY tough one to answer in general terms, Daisydilly, because the terms "commercial use" and "S4H" haven't been universally defined, and so they mean slightly different things to different designers. I would say that the BEST thing to do is to contact the designer of any kit that you have questions about (usually there is contact info in the TOUs) to clarify their Terms of Use. Most designers are happy to do that!

GOOD LUCK!! :wink:

SlidingKat
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I always thought...

Commercial Use meant you could use those items to make kits you were going to sell (re-colored file goes to multiple people).

Scrap4Hire meant you could use the items to make and sell pages to other people, but you couldn't use the items to make your own kit to sell (file is only on your computer not transferred to other person--unless liattend image of entire page).

and Personal Use means for your use only.

So what I've always wondered is, if you make a page with a kit marked personal use and you give (not sell) that page to someone else (family, friend, etc.) does that mean you should pay for the kit again, to retain your personal use right?

j_camargo6
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I always thought...

Commercial Use meant you could use those items to make kits you were going to sell (re-colored file goes to multiple people).

Scrap4Hire meant you could use the items to make and sell pages to other people, but you couldn't use the items to make your own kit to sell (file is only on your computer not transferred to other person--unless liattend image of entire page).

and Personal Use means for your use only.

So what I've always wondered is, if you make a page with a kit marked personal use and you give (not sell) that page to someone else (family, friend, etc.) does that mean you should pay for the kit again, to retain your personal use right?

Generally, yes, Katie...those are the definitions as I view them, but others contend that selling pre-made pages (even flattened) is commercial use and some designers are prohibiting that with their designs. This is where it becomes muddy (because of different interpretations) and clarification from the individual designer becomes critical.

As to your question, I can only answer for my self personally because the term "Scrap 4 Others" is also widely interpreted. All of my kits are S4O OK (meaning as gifts with no money changing hands), but AGAIN, your safest bet if you can't interpret that information in the specific designer's TOU is to contact the designer....when I've done this, they've always answered quickly and given me the information I was seeking and were thrilled that I cared enough to clarify.

Hope that helps :-)

daisydilly
05-07-2009, 05:17 AM
wow! i think it's safer to just stick with the woodcrafting business as i know about that! thanks for the answers.

daisydilly
05-07-2009, 07:01 AM
ok i have started sending out emails to the designers who list S4H use in their terms. I know i'm not a whiz at scrapbooking but I do love to try and every now and then I come up with a winner. So we will see where this leads.:biggrin:

elenasworld
05-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I always thought...

I have made pages and brag book albums and some hybrid albums where I have used my personal use kits. I have made these as gifts for family -- great grandma's, photo books I have printed for my parents, yearly calendars, brag book albums for the cousins to share. The people who recieve the gifts only get the printed images, books etc -- never anything electronic. I am not selling anything, just giving gifts. To me this is personal use, and it would never cross my mind to obtain a special use license

If I started to make things for friends to give as gifts or wedding favors for someone, then I think it would get into a gray area. Most terms will be pretty specific about what you can and cannot do. If I am doing a project that will be a gift, I like to know in advance the designer's terms before I buy, just in case it would be a violation. I have read some terms and I just dont agree with all the limitations, so I just dont buy from that store/designer since I dont want to run into issues.

When I do buy Commercial Use products, I read the terms carefully as Jenn said, all designers tend to have a different take on it.

twirlyjoy
05-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I have made pages and brag book albums and some hybrid albums where I have used my personal use kits. I have made these as gifts for family -- great grandma's, photo books I have printed for my parents, yearly calendars, brag book albums for the cousins to share. The people who recieve the gifts only get the printed images, books etc -- never anything electronic. I am not selling anything, just giving gifts. To me this is personal use, and it would never cross my mind to obtain a special use license...............

This is what I have always understood it to be - that if you give the person the flattened, complete printed image, then it is personal use.

What has now confused me is that Jenn has called that S4O which I understood, from a post over at DST where the difference was questioned, was the same as S4H. The two terms appear to be used interchangeably, especially as their special forum over there is called "Scrapping For Others/Hire" as though they are the same thing!!

scrappintwins
05-09-2009, 08:00 PM
This is what my TOU states (in a nutshell lol)
For my kits, all are S4H ok. So you can make a layout and sell it as long as it's a flattened page or better yet a printed one. You can make and give away what ever you like as long as it's flattened or printed.
For my CU stuff, you can use these items in your kits to sell, in layouts you sell or hybrid you sell even blog designs as long as they receive the low res version.
My TOU is pretty flexible. I don't do the no using element #3 on the third Sunday in May, June or July thing HA. I've never heard that really but some designers TOU are very confusing lol.