PDA

View Full Version : Scan your abrViewer for Trojan

bdjeepers
03-07-2007, 05:51 AM
My antivirus program found that my abrViewer was infected with a trojan called w32Bancos.AKBR. I downloaded the program several weeks ago, (I don't remember where the download was) but had not installed it until recently, and I only ran it once. It is a keylogger to steal your online banking username and password. Be careful where you download the program, and be sure to scan the file before installation. Since this is a tool commonly used by scrappers, I urge everyone here to use extreme caution.

Andrea
03-07-2007, 06:12 AM
I had installed it a while back and got a virus that corrupted one of my system files and burned up my OS. It also uninstalled my antivirus and corrupted the windows installer so I couldn't reinstall my antivirus. When I tried to reboot, my OS was gone. Luckly my hubby is a network engineer, so he salvaged all of my data. Bad stuff! I wasn't sure what I installed that caused the problem until now.

bdjeepers
03-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Ouch! You had severe bad luck! My antivirus (F-Prot) caught it before it did any damage. As soon as I booted up this morning, F-Prot told me I had the bug. It deleted it, and I had no problems. I wasn't truly infected, but the danger was there. Evidently you had a different bug than I did - mine just compromises bank logins! It was specific for certain banks and mine wasn't on the list, so I'm not worried. Most are South American, but Citibank was on the list.

I love F-Prot - they've discovered the most problems in the wild and always seem to have the first innoculations for them, as well as Windows vulnerabilities. My son, an MS Certified Software Engineer and computer consultant, installed it for me, and uses nothing else. In his opinion, Norton and McAfee are bloatware, and they sure did nasty things in my computer, like corrupting Word, for instance, as well as slowing everything down tremendously.

babydoe
03-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Since I don't know what ABRviewer is, can I assume I don't have it?

bdjeepers
03-07-2007, 08:34 AM
abrViewer is a program that lets you see what PhotoShop brushes look like. There are so many brush freebies given away or sold on the net, and especially scrapbook sites, that it's nice to be able to see what they look like before installing them. I know I downloaded my version from a scrapbook site from a link that a viewer inserted in a forum, but I don't remember which one. I would think that the one at the developer's site (Google it) would be safe, but I don't know for sure. Many scrappers have recommended the program, so I thought I was safe, coming from from one. Grrr! to whoever it was!

I think you're very safe to assume you don't have it, if you didn't download and install it yourself.

Maisie
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I downloaded mine in January, and McAfee never alerted me. Hmmm... I'll run my virus scan. Thanks for the heads up.

babydoe
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
abrViewer is a program that lets you see what PhotoShop brushes look like. There are so many brush freebies given away or sold on the net, and especially scrapbook sites, that it's nice to be able to see what they look like before installing them. I know I downloaded my version from a scrapbook site from a link that a viewer inserted in a forum, but I don't remember which one. I would think that the one at the developer's site (Google it) would be safe, but I don't know for sure. Many scrappers have recommended the program, so I thought I was safe, coming from from one. Grrr! to whoever it was!

I think you're very safe to assume you don't have it, if you didn't download and install it yourself.

thanks--I am pretty sure I don't have it, since I don't know anything about using brushes yet. That is another thing I have to learn--I am trying to learn about actions right now.

myranalis
06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
As one of the developers on the project I would like assure everyone that the download available from the project's home website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/) is completely safe.

I'm disappointed, but not altogether surprised there are other sites redistributing infected versions of the program, but as with most open source software there is no restriction in the licensing on redistribution.

If anyone can confirm the site from which they downloaded infected versions, please let me know.

ETA: I can be contacted via the website above or directly at myranalis at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

Anna Forrest

Cherry47
06-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Myranalis,
I downloaded the safe one from your site, now how do I use it?

alfenner
06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
As one of the developers on the project I would like assure everyone that the download available from the project's home website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/) is completely safe.

I'm disappointed, but not altogether surprised there are other sites redistributing infected versions of the program, but as with most open source software there is no restriction in the licensing on redistribution.

If anyone can confirm the site from which they downloaded infected versions, please let me know.

ETA: I can be contacted via the website above or directly at myranalis at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

Anna Forrest

Thank you Anna for coming and helping us out! We appreciate the time you've taken!

myranalis
06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Myranalis,
I downloaded the safe one from your site, now how do I use it?

First up, make sure you've downloaded the correct file. I recommend downloading abrViewer_v20.zip from the release abrViewer.NET 2.0. This requires the .NET Framework 1.1, available from Microsoft's website.

Someone has done a hack job of releasing a version for Vista users and others that have the .NET Framework 2 (again, this is available on the Microsoft website). For these people, you can download the file Release_NET20_2.0.rar from the abrViewer.rel.NET2_2.0 release. Note that you will not get the helpfile in that file, so grab it from the abrViewerDoc.zip file in the release abrViewer.NET 2.0 if you want it.

Once you've downloaded what you want...

If you've downloaded the abrViewer.NET 2.0 release (.NET Framework 1.1)

unzip the zip file
double click setup.exe
the helpfile is installed automatically and is available from the help menu in the application

If you've downloaded the abrViewer.rel.NET2_2.0 release (.NET Framework 2)

Un-rar the files. (With Winrar or similar)
Copy the new directory to your program files
Unzip the helpfile and copy to the directory above.
You'll have to manually create your shortcuts on the startbar
You will have to manually launch the helpfile, unless you're brave enough to tinker with your registry. Note: DO NOT PLAY WITH THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
To properly install the helpfile, add a new registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help with the name
"abrViewer.chm" and a value pointing to the directory above.
For people who don't want to touch their registry - just double click the abrViewer.chm file to view its contents. Note: You help option on the help menu won't work.

I will try to get around to creating a proper release for .NET 2 as soon as I can, but until then you'll have to put up with a bad install - Sorry. If anyone has any more questions, or needs more detailed instructions - specially with the .NET 2 install, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Anna

bdjeepers
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Since I'm the one who started all this, I especially want to thank you, Anna, for your help, because this is a really nice program for us all to use. I'm very happy to learn where I can get a safe copy!

Hugs!

shawnyrvr
07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I got my from scourge... so mine is safe... but before I read the rest of these posts I ran in to DH Systems Admin guy for a BIG company... and said oh no don't be mad at me but I may have downloaded a virus... Mine was still in winrar file form... and he said it didn't have a "bug" in it...

But I am glad I finished reading this... as I've had the compressed download for-eva' and I had never tried it... lol I have had it so long I still have the ver1.0... so I'm headed back to scourge to get the updated vers2.0...

THANKS ANNA for helping work on such an awesome program. It was so cool when I tried it out... and once I really get back in to my scrapping after the holidays I can't wait to use it on all those brushes I have just sitting in a folder in my Digital Scrapping folder, lol.

Shawna