PDA

View Full Version : Page sizes

agarzaldynrd
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Way back when I first started digi-scrapping, Debra gave me directions for saving my los. I save a psd, a jpeg, then I resize and save a web-ready. All my los are 12x12. I'm thinking of switching to 8x10 just for storage/display purposes. How do I save for that size? What is the dpi? Is there any way to save what I already have in a different size? So many questions that are technical in nature that I have no clue about. Any advice is appreciated.

scrapmami
04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm going to answer two ways, because I'm not sure if you're referring to computer disk storage or physical storage (printed pages).

Computer storage:
Are you keeping all your psd files? Some people may disagree with me, but when I like my final page, after I've checked it to see if it's okay, I delete the psd file. They're always huge files, eating up way too much memory. the way i see it, when I paper scrapbook, once I'm done with a page, I'm done. If you're really hesitant about deleting all your psd files, at least put them on dvds to clear up some space. Another option, instead of 8 x 10, that uses less memory would be 8 x 8 if you prefer a perfect square to work on.

Physical Storage:
For the past year, I'd been resizing all my pages to 8 x 8 so that I could print them from home. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive once you take the ink and paper into account. Then I decided to try Shutterfly, which lets you upload your own digital pages and make them into a hardbound book of up to 100 pages. I just ordered a book with around 85 of my layouts in it. It would have taken me several large, bulky scrapbooks to house all these layouts. Now, I'll have them in a hardbound coffee table style book, which will take up 1/10 of the space. I haven't received mine yet, but should be getting it in the next couple of days and will let you know how it came out.

agarzaldynrd
04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the response. Both answers are very useful. Space does seem to be an issue both on my hard drive and in my house!!

OneMemory
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Anna, to answer your other question...NO. LOL if you have created 12X12's you can print them in any smaller size square format-8X8, 6X6, 4X4, 1X1-WHATEVER as long as they are square.
I have a new line of products coming out next month that will help you to take a square layout and shrink to fit an 8X10 or 8.5 X11 size page without redoing it all.
Best of luck!

ponicedan
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks to both of you for responding to Anna's question. I also was interested in knowing how to do this. I can use all the advice I can get as a newbie!

tweederbug
04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I have been doing 12x12 and just switched to 8x8. I like the looks of them and they do take up less space :wink:!

elenasworld
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I scrap 12x12 since most digi kits are designed that way. Once I am done, I resize to 8x8, save my .jpg file, create a web size version for uploading to galleries and then I save the .psd file in the new size. Every month or so, I burn my layouts to DVD to free up space on my hard drive.

Since I dont print things right away, I keep the .psd files so when I go back and print I can easily adjust to what ever format I decide -- photobooks are what I usually print (and I have tried several online places to do this, and they all have different guidelines)

As much as I proof read, I often find I have typos in my pages once I upload to a gallery. that's the other reason I keep the .psd's for a while.

britnkaysmemaw2
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I always do my lo's in 8x8 so I can print them myself. I like Liz's idea of doing the lo in 12x12 and then resizing when done. That sure would make it easier, especially on those speed scraps, lol.
I just solved my hard drive problems. My DH bought me a 1TB external HD. Good ole wally world has them on rollback for $119. Gotta love that store, and isn't it great I am helping out the economy, lol.

scooter59
04-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Anna,

I also always keep my LO's, both PSD, JPG and Save for Web. But I keep them on an external HD. I also use Mozy to back up my computer and HD. I once had my PC crash and lost a bunch of pictures and LO's now having an automatic back-up is a blessing and I really don't have to worry about space.

Ravelle

donakat
04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I've had a small photo book printed (not scrapbook pages, but pictures and a story), and I love how well it turned out. I used Blurb, but there are any number of places that will do the same thing. So far I prefer the 12x12 prints, but I did do an 8x8 album for my mom, printing the LOs at home (plain paper), then consulting with her and changing some, adding some, and finally had the ones I wanted printed by Costco on photo paper. It helped me work out some problems I had with keeping track of all the layouts for the book, etc.

scrapmami
04-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to update that I received my photo book from Shutterfly and am so happy with it! I'm never going to print out another layout from home again! There's no comparison in the quality I get from them versus my photo printer--and it's much cheaper and is so SMALL compared to the amount of albums I would have needed for my layouts printed from home.

katiehardin
04-12-2009, 03:18 AM
1 TB hard drives run aroung $100 so I don't consider storage space to be a problem.

I always keep the PSD file. Can't count the number of times I'll want to go back and change something later.

The only time I make a JPG file is if I'm going to upload it somewhere. Then I reduce the size and save for web, upload the file then delete the JPG. I can't stand the compression and loss of detail in the JPG file format so I rarely use that type of file.

I do make a second Tiff file of the page and load it into a folder I have set as my screen saver.

I usually keep two backup copies of my photos, my pages, and the zip files of things I've purchased. One on an external I try to keep off site and one on another computer in my network. Usually about every ten days I bring one of the other computers in and hook a firewire to mine to backup up the files (much faster transfer by fire wire then by the N router). I rotate which computer gets the latest transfer so that there are multiple copies, minus a week or two on one of the other computers. And I don't reformat the camera card until I've done the backup. Cards are real cheap now so I usually don't run out unless we go on a mini vacation and then I make sure to do a backup before I leave.

emeraldsong
04-12-2009, 06:21 AM
I am a dedicated 8.5 by 11 page person. I like the size of the page, it fits nicely on my shelves and it is easy to find frames to display pages (document frames are 8.5 by 11). I also can just take regular albums and put in page protectors to store my pages.

My plan has always been to make photo books with my pages for my daughter -- one book a year. I made a couple of drop and drag photo books early on and they are so nice and small compared to my scrapbook albums.

Now, I am very intersted in OMAAT's new products b/c it would be nice to not have to resize everything . ..

I will have to sit down and burn my PSD files to disc -- that is a really good idea.

Thanks for a good topic and discussion.

Laura

agarzaldynrd
04-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Laura, do you start with an 8.5 x 11 or do you resize? Which copy do you resize? I save as a psd, a jpeg, then resize for the web to a 600 x600. I'm not tech savy enough to figure out which one to resize. I don't want to delete anything. It worries me.

emeraldsong
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I start with 8.5 by 11. I too hate to delete anything so I have psd files and then a jpeg at maximum (for printing purposes) and a jpeg at medium for web sharing purposes. I think you could resize any of them -- resizing the psd file would be the most flexible and save the most space, IMHO

Laura