PDA

View Full Version : too new and sooo confused

mammypierce
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
at 50 I just got my 1st computer(held out for a laptop). Sick and have had to pretty much give up needlework and quilting because I'm so tired. I go down to my daughter's in Justin a lot to see my grandkids. I have free time but trying to do needlework..keeping hands clean enough and getting set-up all the time has been too much trouble. Digital scrapping seems to be the perfect answer!! Problem though is I'm so new to digi world that I don't know where to start. In the beginners section here I linked onto Wacom and looked like the tablet might make it a liitle easier...I can put my laptop over on the table (away from little hands) and use tablet in my lap?? I have bluetooth. If I buy the tablet it comes with PSE3 and Corel they say "valuable software onDVD" so I'm assuming that they're workable?? Is Photoshop Elements 3 too hard for someone who basically only knows how to turn on the computer,search the web and get e-mails? Even if I buy this bundle and get easier software like FxFoto? My printer was a freebie..Cannon PIXMA ip4300 photo printer. I need a scanner, I want one that will do the best quality but even if it's a bit inconvenient I can take it to my Uncle's and scan our family's pictures a lot of which are 8x10's. I have Picsa2 pre-installed in my computer but have heard good things about Acdsee...looks like it may be easier. I haven't put any pctures on my computer yet I've been putting them on CDs every time my memory stik gets full. I've spent weeks looking at every website trying to figure out how to get started. I'm sofrustrated that if it wasn't so important to me to make my pictures memories instead of trash because no one knows who they are when I'm gone. I don't know how to do "plain" so I know I'll need shadows, embell....journaling that curves or wraps around...etc.. I know I'm asking a lot of everyone!! Is PSE3 okay to start with? Should I take that one I get and upgrade to make things easier?
Thanks in advance for any answers or where to turn to's!! Linda::confused:

MamaB
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Mammy,
I don't know the answers to all of your questions but I'll help with what I can. I'm still pretty new at this too!
1. I know nothing about Wacom - keep this post bumped to the top overthe next few days, since today is a party day I don't know how many are checking any posts except the activites.
Photoshop Elements 3 (PSE3) is very versitile and worth having. It does have a relatively long learning curve. I personally like Digital Image Suite (DIP) for my photo editing. Was up and running with that in just a couple of hours. For scrapbooking if you use templates the DIP ones make it very easy but a lot of the templates out there are PSD (the PhotoShop native language). They can be used in DIP but are more cumbersome (at least for me). In PSE3 the PSD templates are a beeze. But again there is a much longer learning curve. There seems to be a wider array of things available for PSE than for DIP. Brushes can only be used in PSE (as far as I know) but many brushes com with PNG files which can be used in DIP.

MamaB
03-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Continued....

2. The other software you mentioned - I haven't used.
3. You are smart to hold out for a really good scanner.
4. Good job archiving your pictures to cds - a good idea is to make 2 copies - one to store and one to work from.

Like you I want to do it all but I didn't have the patience for a long learning curve before I got to do something!!!!!

Hope this helped a little...from one newbie to another...good luck! :biggrin:

jonimarony
03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi,
PSE 3 is a really good choice. There are a lot of FREE how to's out there you can learn from. That is what I'm doing right now. I too am new to this. The next item on my wish list is a Wacom tablet. I will look through my stuff and PM you the links for how to's if you want. Just let me know

ginabee
03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi MammyPierce! I used to be a quilter, too.
I use PhotoShop Elements 4.
I have used Quick Pages to speed up the process of doing layouts. You can buy them in the shop.
Also, I do the recent pictures and then go backwards doing those in layouts. Try to simply, as this is supposed to be FUN, too.
Any hobby takes time to learn.
This is a fantastic community of scrappers. I just joined and they have made me feel so welcome.
Keep on trying and do tutorials, that's what they tell me.

okblues
03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
at 50 I just got my 1st computer(held out for a laptop). Sick and have had to pretty much give up needlework and quilting because I'm so tired. I go down to my daughter's in Justin a lot to see my grandkids. I have free time but trying to do needlework..keeping hands clean enough and getting set-up all the time has been too much trouble. Digital scrapping seems to be the perfect answer!! Problem though is I'm so new to digi world that I don't know where to start. In the beginners section here I linked onto Wacom and looked like the tablet might make it a liitle easier...I can put my laptop over on the table (away from little hands) and use tablet in my lap?? I have bluetooth. If I buy the tablet it comes with PSE3 and Corel they say "valuable software onDVD" so I'm assuming that they're workable?? Is Photoshop Elements 3 too hard for someone who basically only knows how to turn on the computer,search the web and get e-mails? Even if I buy this bundle and get easier software like FxFoto? My printer was a freebie..Cannon PIXMA ip4300 photo printer. I need a scanner, I want one that will do the best quality but even if it's a bit inconvenient I can take it to my Uncle's and scan our family's pictures a lot of which are 8x10's. I have Picsa2 pre-installed in my computer but have heard good things about Acdsee...looks like it may be easier. I haven't put any pctures on my computer yet I've been putting them on CDs every time my memory stik gets full. I've spent weeks looking at every website trying to figure out how to get started. I'm sofrustrated that if it wasn't so important to me to make my pictures memories instead of trash because no one knows who they are when I'm gone. I don't know how to do "plain" so I know I'll need shadows, embell....journaling that curves or wraps around...etc.. I know I'm asking a lot of everyone!! Is PSE3 okay to start with? Should I take that one I get and upgrade to make things easier?

I can't answer all of your questions, but will definitely encourage you to stick with it. ACDsee is great for organizing and I would consider it a good investment. As for PSE3, I've not used it, but I do use PSE4 and it is worth the money. Personally, I like doing my layouts in PaintShopPro, although PSE has some features that are more user friendly when it comes to templates. There are a wide variety of software programs that will work for you & I would suggest downloading a free trial & experimening with them until you find which one you are most comfortable with. As for the WACOM, it is nice. My old one died on me last year & I'm holding out to buy a larger one since I also design. There are tons of tutorials out there to get you started no matter which program you decide on. I hope this helped a little & if you have more questions, feel free to post them. No matter if it's your first layout or your 1000th, we are all still learning.:wink: Oh, and welcome to GDS!

mammypierce
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks to eveveryone who has respnded. I'm going to cross thr fence and buy the Wacom bundle which has the PSE3. Acdsee for a manager and looking at a Cannon

mammypierce
03-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks to eveveryone who has respnded. I'm going to cross thr fence and buy the Wacom bundle which has the PSE3. Acdsee for a manager and looking at a Cannon CanoScan LiDE600F for scanner. As haer as it is I'm going to hold off a few days to see if any of you have better suggestions. Thanks so much for all the encouragement. Any links in PM are welcomed! Now, I have hope again....THANKS:love-smiley-011:

ckbymommy
03-05-2007, 07:16 AM
:hello: Hello and welcome to GDS, mammy!

Sorry for the late response, I tried to keep up on the posts yesterday, but the forum was moving so fast I wasn't able to get to all of them.

I know that a tablet would be very helpful and a good investment, and have heard that wacom's are good.

I have heard that PSE is pretty user friendly, but that may be in comparison to the professional version of photoshop (which is the one I use.) I've used corel programs in the past (both Corel Draw and their Paint Shop Pro) but both were some time ago, and I don't really remember how user friendly. I do know that when we got Adobe Photoshop I stopped using all the other programs, if that tells you anything.

I've heard fxfoto mentioned before, but don't have any experience with it. I do know that it helps with organization as well as editing photos and creating layouts. So it may be a good beginner software. However, I agree with Alice, download free trials of the different softwares that you are thinking of using and experiment with them. This way you get the feel of each one and can see what works best for you.

I think you will be happy with your canon printer - we use canon ipix i9900 i our photo studio. Just make sure that you calibrate your monitor to your printer and use a good paper (we actually use the epson photo paper in matte).

You are smart to hold out for a good scanner. I don't have any experience with the canon one you mentioned. I ended up with an HP one that can also scan negs and slides. It is great quality, but unfortunately not seeled well so there are specks of dust under the glass which make spots on the scans - so I have to retouch every single thing I scan :confused1:.

I've heard good things about ACDsee, and I believer that GDS is partnered with them, so if you do decide to try it out (30 day trial) make sure you click through from the link at the bottom of the page here. I downloaded picasa when it came out, but never tried it out.

If you know you are going to want to use shadows and create your own embellishments and such, I think you will be happiest with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro - not one of the other programs like fx. And, I've heard that PSE has all the features you would probably use with scrapbooking and in a more user friendly environment than the pro version of photoshop.

Anyway, I hope I have answered all the questions you had without too much repition of the previous answers, and know that you have come to the right place - everyone here at GDS is very willing to help and answer questions.

bensenc
03-09-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi Linda,
My sister & I have written tutorials on getting started organizing with ACDSee Photo Manager for organizing & that makes that very easy! The software is very helpful & digiscrappers love it. We have tutorials at DigiScrapInfo.com - here Getting started with ACDSee (http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/details.php?file=2) & Organizing your Alpha's in ACDSee (http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/details.php?file=11). I hope those help!

Also, ACDSee has Photo Editor that is user friendly and makes things like layers & text on a curve easy. You may want to check out the trial in the link below. Some people get frustrated with the learning curve of PSE & PSP. We also have tutorials for getting started with Photo Editor at our site & have a forum to offer help with the software.

Hope that helps!

HollyS
03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Bensec, I've seen all your info you've been gathering on ACDSee so thanks for your hard work in that area. Many digiscrappers out there have lots of questions on ACDSee. We have become an affiliate and have a link to purchase ACDSee here...http://www.awltovhc.com/image-2264718-10371108 (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2264718-10371108)

bensenc
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi Bensec, I've seen all your info you've been gathering on ACDSee so thanks for your hard work in that area. Many digiscrappers out there have lots of questions on ACDSee. We have become an affiliate and have a link to purchase ACDSee here...http://www.awltovhc.com/image-2264718-10371108 (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2264718-10371108)

Hi Holly,
I'm Connie (I just started answering questions - rather than setting up my signature).

I sent you a pm. And yes - I saw your affiliate link & was referring to it. I'm available to answer questions if anyone has & our tutorials are available to help people get started. :)

Connie

steph
03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't use any of the programs any of you are talking about... so I'm just going to add my welcome to GDS!!!

Stephanie

bensenc
03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks Steph! (you must be amazingly organized.... I can't be without help!)

I fixed up my siggy & avi :) You guys have a great site here!

andrianmichael
03-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Just wanted to say Welcome and how exciting must be for you to start out..:-)even though can be a bit daunting at times stick with it as there is soo much help here with tutorials and so many wonderful ladies to help out with any questions you may have...HUGGLES from oz:wink: