PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Files...error

Spatlese
03-14-2009, 07:06 AM
After reading many stories of hd crashes, I thought it about time I backed up all my digital kits.....I keep everything on an EHD and just copied from one EHD to another using windows (vista) not a backup program.....

This worked well for most of the files (about 200 GB's worth) but there were about 1000 files for which I got this error message:

"The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path."

The system then only gives me the option to "skip" the file or "try again".

So does anyone know of a work around for this problem? My files are stored by store/designer/kit....so sometimes the file paths are lengthy....

Would a backup utility solve the issue?...

Any help is much appreciated!!

elenasworld
03-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I dont know how to work around it, but this happens to me too when I am copying/moving files. I even had this problem when I tried to make a back up DVD of some product.

The only thing I could think to do was write down the name of the files, fortunately for me, it was two kits. But it took forever to go through each file one by one to see the name. I only had about 100 or so, not 1000 to look through.

I hope someone else has an answer