PDA

View Full Version : What could this be.

tweederbug
03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Ds was sick yesterday. Came home from school fine but later on in the afternoon he was sick with a fever. He could eat and hold everything down ... even wanted Taco Bell nachos after he wanted chicke and nuggets from home. His fever got up to 102.6 through the night. Woke up this morning felt five fever down. Kept saying that his belly hurt,gave him a Fleet strip because he hasn't has a BM in a few days ... bowels moved and felt fine. Well now after his nap .. his fever is back up to 99.6 and he says he feel awful. What could make him for good and then bad again and eat fine. Please help me ladies,I hate seeing him down and out.

agarzaldynrd
03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Sheila,
I'm not sure where you are but here in Austin, Tx. we have had children ill left and right at my school. Lots of fevers, some stomach problems, but mostly fevers. It's some bug and rest seems to be the best.

Now that said, about a month ago I had 3, yes 3, 4th grade boys that originally had fevers but then had stomach problems. All moms were clueless and named some of the same issues...well during the day, little fever at night, then stomach aches. All 3 had to have their appendix removed.

Don't take anything for granted. Check with his doctor if you have not already done so.

By the way, I'm the proud principal at this campus and my baby is 20. I don't have much mothering experience at home these days, but I certainly hear all about the children at school. Good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

scrappintwins
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
There is a horrible bug going around here. There are even 2 school systems closing school for a few days because the attendance is so low. DH is doing the same exact thing too. I think it's some form of flu, not sure, and it should run it's course, but I'd take him to the doc just to make sure.

j_camargo6
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds like not so much fun, Sheila! Hope he feels better soon!

stater
03-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Not a doc so can't help ya. Sorry... hope he feels better soon.

kcsimpson99
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
OK, I am a licensed RN, but cannot give medical advice. But I can give you some info and things to look for and home remedy tips...strictly as a Mommy of 2 young girls...please consult your physician for these symptoms and for any treatment plan. I only offer this info based on my experience with my own children, not as part of my formal training!! Thanks!! :wink:

His symptoms and possible explanations depend on several factors:
*How old is DS? How often does he normally have BMs? Look for change in color of BMs, especially very dark or very light--could be related to appendix or gall bladder. Stomach pain can be from constipation and can remain for a short time after Fleet's strip, due to colon spasming.
Fleet's draws the water from the bloodstream into the colon to aid in producing a BM. This can contribute to increased temp due to slight dehydration. Also important to note whether belly is tender "from the inside", like a sick feeling, or tender "to the touch", from the outside, and where, specifically, the pain is. Also what type of pain: sharp, dull, ache, etc. These all need to be reported to your MD, when you call or go in :)

*Fevers tend to be worse at night--body temp rises during the day, and is lowest in the AM. Could explain why so many kiddos get to school, and feel worse as day wears on, and need to be sent home.

*A big way to decrease fevers AND to prevent constipation is to HYDRATE with water, juices, popscicles, crushed ice, etc....again, just what I have tried with my kiddos!!

*Foods such as nachos, chicken nuggets, etc., are very high in salt content, and can dehydrate a person--draws water out of the bloodstream and into the tissues (why us ladies have "water weight gain") which can also raise body temp.

*Allergies can also produce low-grade temps. Nasal drainage from alleries into the belly can cause belly-ache. (This was the case with my 9 year-old last week) Again, this depends on where you live, history of allergies, etc.

*Another possibility is very likely could be a virus that will run it's course. Just a pesky fever, with no other symptoms other than a belly-ache. With fevers, always be alert for rashes, and report these to your MD as well. There are many viruses, especially at this time of year, that make kiddos feel YUCKY!!

Please call and report these symptoms to your pediatrician!! As Anna said, nothing can replace the medical expertise of a physician actually physically hands-on checking out your child, as these symptoms could be something that needs to be treated urgently. :wink:
I hope your son feels better soon and that all is well!! Sometimes the worst part is the "Mommy Worry" that we feel, as they go through these things!! Good luck!! :goodluck:

tweederbug
03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks ladies ... he is still sleeping so I will check his tummy when he wakes up. I will also see what goes out with his BM's tonight. I just can't seem to put my finger on this.