PDA

View Full Version : 4Shared Viruses!

Silly Bean
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone, I was just reading this thread at DST about people getting viruses from 4Shared, and in case some of you don't know about this, I wanted to post it here. I know my CT gets my stuff thru 4shared.

So here's the link: http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=176435

After this I may just be switching to Box.

donakat
02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Shannon,
What's Box? A similar file-sharing site? What's the URL? Has anyone else tried it?

britnkaysmemaw2
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey everyone, I was just reading this thread at DST about people getting viruses from 4Shared, and in case some of you don't know about this, I wanted to post it here. I know my CT gets my stuff thru 4shared.

So here's the link: http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=176435

After this I may just be switching to Box.

Don't know if you noticed the dates on the link, but it was from 2006. I like to think that security has been upgraded a lot since then.

Silly Bean
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't know if you noticed the dates on the link, but it was from 2006. I like to think that security has been upgraded a lot since then.

No I'm reading that this thread was started on Wednesday. And a couple articles in PC World Mag from last month and this month have similar info in them, but don't mention specific sites. They say that hundreds of thousands of sites are being infected by viruses that are probably being streamed through videos and ads. Anyways, box.net is one file sharing site that a few of the people in the DST thread talked about. But I wanted to say that I did some digging and found this site called drop.io that seems pretty awesome. You can find their demo here: http://drop.io/howto I'm going to try to upload some CT stuff and see how it goes. :)

Michellemarie
02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes, Shannon! I've gotten viruses two times in the last three days. The first time was downloading your bonus kit from the speed scrap. So I didn't dare try downloading it again. Still don't have it and haven't had time to tell you. I thought I got my computer fixed and then today I got another virus, worse than before that actually uninstalled my antivirus software just like the link you sent. I'm still working on it currently so haven't been able to hardly get on the internet or this site today. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'm glad it's not only me. My husband is ready to pull the plug on downloads!!! Good thing I'm in charge;) j/k

britnkaysmemaw2
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Guess I have been lucky so far, (knocking on wood, lol). My Norton anti-virus program is connected to our Internet package so I believe they keep it pretty up to date, and I have my computer set for weekly scans & updates. Hope you all get everything fixed and your computers up and running smoothly soon and free from viruses.

kcsimpson99
02-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm right there knocking on wood with ya!! I also have Norton/Symantec anti-virus through my internet package and haven't had any problems. I downloaded Shannon's SS bonus just fine the other night. I also use VISTA, and noticed on DST site that several with Vista have not had same problems. Just wondering if same here? Any Vista users with problems??

And DH just informed me that even though I have run 2 scans and nothing yet, and to run Malwarebytes and Spybot, which can help, but need to NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE for at least a couple of days, until anti-virus software companies can catch up to and fix the detection of viruses and then people can download updates, or if can't get on long enough to download, copy to disc and install without online...or something like that...:blahblah:

Anyway, he says it doesn't mean you can download, just because scan doesn't detect anything...cause takes time for companies to "detect and fix" viruses...so...I'm grounded...for now...:eek1

I hope everyone gets their computers fixed...good luck!!

Andrea
02-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I've had reports of this too and had to stop using 4shared for most things. It's unfortunate that they're doing that.

mbm69
02-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm using Mac, and have never installed antivirus software. This just made me change my mind.

tinkriley
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm wondering if that is where the virus that hit my computer came from.

Maryart
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I got a big ugly trojan worm from a 4shared download. I don't know which download, of course, but I believe the virus came from a popup about a program that protects your computer. When I hit the red x to close it, it actually downloaded into my system. It infected nearly everything and blocked my security software. It was a real bummer to clean out but we went online on another computer and found the way around all that and got it cleaned up in "safe mode".

I use PCCillin for my security and I block all popups. I guess that was one that got through because of what it is. If you get a popup you should not hit the red x, but right click on it at the bottom of your screen and close it that way.

One more note: when you get an update prompt from your security system, always update so you have all the latest protection. When you buy a security program it only protects you from what they know up to that date.

tinkriley
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
THANK YOU! I'll have to make sure that everyone - mainly my kids - know this. I really like all the tips!

daisydilly
02-22-2009, 03:06 PM
its weird that i should have happened upon this info as the computer i was using caught a virus . i suspected another program but i have been downloading alot of things from 4shared. and i was about to go in and download some more!!!!! guess i wont til i can find out its safe

Karyanna
02-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Wow really glad I checked this page out been using 4sharedfiles for a while now and had picked up some viruses from I don't know where, now I may know of the source now heading on over to ... pick up an account with box.net

daisydilly
02-23-2009, 07:34 AM
what about if you have these saved to a cd or other source. is it possible to reinfect the system from a saved file

Karyanna
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
what about if you have these saved to a cd or other source. is it possible to reinfect the system from a saved file

That's a interesting question. a good one.. I'm not certain but when you put your cd in I'd single it out with a virus scan .. but I think it may be doubtful

pinky7
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm using Mac, and have never installed antivirus software. This just made me change my mind.

I am using Mac, too. But from what I understand, it is harder to give Mac a virus. I didn't know there were antivirus programs out there for Mac. What program are you using?

HavaDrPepper
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I got a big ugly trojan worm from a 4shared download. I don't know which download, of course, but I believe the virus came from a popup about a program that protects your computer. When I hit the red x to close it, it actually downloaded into my system. It infected nearly everything and blocked my security software. It was a real bummer to clean out but we went online on another computer and found the way around all that and got it cleaned up in "safe mode".

I use PCCillin for my security and I block all popups. I guess that was one that got through because of what it is. If you get a popup you should not hit the red x, but right click on it at the bottom of your screen and close it that way.

One more note: when you get an update prompt from your security system, always update so you have all the latest protection. When you buy a security program it only protects you from what they know up to that date.

I got this same one back in December from a download that wasn't downloaded from 4shared. It was downloaded from a different file sharing website.... I had to pay to have my desktop fixed. I had always used anti-virus software and it had just been updated and scanned my computer that day. Now in addition to AVG, I faithfully use Spybot and Malwarebytes.

So just beware, it isn't just 4shared that is at risk......

christellevandyk
02-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Any news on the viruses?

candi1973
02-24-2009, 07:12 AM
I have contacted 4Shared today because I think it stinks that I PAY FOR a service that could be a detriment to me. It says all of the files uploaded and shared on 4Shared are scanned by Kaspersky and I wonder if Kaspersky just isn't great at detecting viruses or what...

I (knock on wood) have not been infected yet. I have stopped downloading free items from blogs of those I don't know, but now I am finding that even designers I KNOW are having problems. How frustrating.... I wouldn't be able to complain a whole lot if I were using 4Shared's "free" download service....but I am not. I purchased 200 GBs in download traffic so that I don't get the unwanted ads and I don't have to wait for the "countdown" screen.

Once I receive a reply from 4Shared, I'll post it here if it is worthy of posting...

A designer I know recently used Box as a download source for a beautiful free kit she was giving away and she ran out of bandwith within the first day. I am not sure how much Box charges for their bandwith, but maybe it's worth the switch....but I was thinking, if viruses are being spread around, wouldn't it come from the person who uploaded a file from a PC that was infected? The viruses from 4Shared are not coming from 4Shared, right?

I am confused. Hopefully there is someone on the boards here that is really techy who can explain how we can protect ourselves. I have a paid anti-virus software that is updated daily and just felt that I would be safe. Apparently not.

Sorry for my ramble.... :-)

nicolletteknight
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
From what I have gathered in the last few days following the DST thread is that the viruses aren't coming from the designers, but from the ads on 4shared. I haven't come up with anything in any of the files I had downloaded, but when I ran spybot and malwarebytes both came up with things my AVG missed, and 4shared is the one place I used to go regularly besides sites I've used for years. I've since stopped going to 4shared at all and since I got my system cleaned up I haven't had a problem.

daisydilly
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
i downloaded a spyware/malware clean up and got my system up and running again but will stay away from 4shared until i learn its safe

candi1973
02-26-2009, 06:40 AM
I contacted 4Shared and here is the TWO responses that I rec'd. I wasn't happy w/ the first answer I rec'd, so I emailed again and the second person to respond was a bit more helpful in that she at least acknowledged that there WAS IN FACT a PROBLEM....

Cut and pasted from email (you'll want to read from the bottom up, sorry):

Hello Candice,

We appreciate your membership and love to have such a customer like you.

So concerning viruses, we cannot say for sure what causes infecting
our users when visiting our site. What I can say is that now we are in a huge
investigating process regarding this issue.
Now there is one thing I'd like to recommend you which has come up from
one of our customers who just like you doesn't want to leave 4shared but
does want to feel safe using the site. Unfortunatelly, this would only be helpful
if you're using Firefox browser. If you are, then you need to install
an add-on called "No Script" which will let you to give permissions to trusted
sites as well as block untrusted sites. I am afraid you are right concerning some of the banner ads on our site that is why using this No Script you'll be able to accept 4shared.com and to block any 3d party.

So this is the advice on this matter so far. Hope this will help.

Any further questions or concerns are welcome.

Best regards,
Irina
support@4shared.com

Original message:
> First of all, thank you for your reply.... Secondly, I would also like to
> inform you that I have checked with many users who are having issues with viruses and they're stating that the virus is coming from banner ads on your site. I am told someone will go to a download page and then as soon as they click on the download butting, a window pops up and starts downloading and "unknown" file....and then their computer is infected. Is this possible? I have not experienced this myself, so I am not sure if these users are mistaken. But if they're not, this is very concerning....I just want to know that I am safe when using 4Shared.

Thank you,

Candice
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "4shared Support" <support@4shared.com>
> To: <candice1973@comcast.net>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:55 AM
> Subject: Re:Expressing My Concerns [ST-145971]
>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Files uploaded to our servers are checked with Kaspersky anti-virus
>> software.
>> You can see the status on the file download page. If the status is
>> 'pending',
>> you need to wait for a few hours until the file has been checked. However,
>> we do not manage the contents and cannot be responsible for the files you
>> download. Status shown by our antivirus is reliable, however I would
>> recommed you to check zip and rar files with your own antivirus on PC.
>> If you have any further questions, please let me know. I will be glad to
>> help
>> you!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kate
>> support@4shared.com
>>
>> Original message:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Recently, it is come to my attention via various sources, such as
>>> forums, internet websites, and yahoo groups that the use of 4Shared is
>>> leaving some customers subject to severe computer viruses despite users
>>> having a PAID Anti-virus software.
>>>
>>> I would like to know how this is happening. Each download that I use
>>> states that it is scanned for viruses using Kaspersky. How reliable is
>>> this scan? If multiple users are becoming infected with viruses and
>>> state they are certain it is coming from 4Shared, is there anything that
>>> can be done to protect ourselves beyond having our own virus scanning
>>> software in place?
>>>
>>> I have seen three different people post that when they started a
>>> download their screen flashed to a new screen and the virus started
>>> popping open multiple web browsing pages. I have seen many designers in
>>> the scrapbooking industry who are looking for another means of sharing
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Personally, I happen to love 4Shared, however, I do not want to
>>> have my PC vulnerable to a disastrous virus. I have seen a few designers
>>> who are still sharing their graphics via 4Shared, but are posting warnings such as: "Download via 4Shared at your own risk."
>>>
>>> I think that 4Shared may want to look into this matter, as many people are not going to want to use your file sharing site anymore. I think that this is something that should be investigated by 4Shared.
>>> Have you received any other correspondence from other concerned users? I would like to feel safe downloading from 4Shared. I do not download
>>> files from anyone that I don't know and the only items I am downloading
>>> are related to scrapbooking....
>>>
>>> Any information that you can share with me would be most appreciated.
>>> I would love nothing more than to go back to these forums and user groups and let all of these people know that we CAN feel safe using 4Shared.
>>>
>>> My email comes to you with all due respect.
>>>
>>> Warm wishes,
>>>
>>> Candice Stears
>>> Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
>>> www.soinkincute.stampinup.net
>>> www.soinkincute.blogspot.com (MY STAMPIN' BLOG)
>>> www.craftyperson.com/sun/CandiceS (want to receive my newsletter?!)
>>> www.candi1973project365.blogspot.com (My Project 365 Blog)
>>

daisydilly
02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
thank you so very much for all this info. i now have a spyware/malware program installed so hopefully this will take care of future problems

scramper75
02-26-2009, 08:09 AM
So how long should we wait?? I know a few people that only use 4shared and I need to download some files from there.

candi1973
02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
So how long should we wait?? I know a few people that only use 4shared and I need to download some files from there.

What I gathered from the information that I rec'd is this:

I am going to use 4Shared....However, I have my settings in Internet Explorer set to NOT allow any scripted windows or active x files without being prompted. Additionally, I scan my .rar and .zip files before opening.

Additionally, I have paid for download traffic so that ALL banner ads are removed. Meaning, if you pay for the download traffic, you will:

A) never have to wait for a download to begin
B) never see any banner ads or annoying flashing ads that can potentially have malware or viruses contained

I purchased 100 GBs of download traffic and 4Shared doubled that to 200 GBs during their recent 50% off sale. It cost $17.95 in total and 200 GBs is A LOT of download space. I have had it for 2 months and I haven't even used a 1/4 of what's available.

The $17.95 is money well spent if it prevents the very dangerous (in my opinion) banner ads from running scripts or downloading malware onto my PC.

4Shared clearly states in their email that the banner ads can be a problem, but they don't mention how they're going to protect us.

I highly recommend paying for the download traffic. When you do this, you're not paying for add'l space to store your files, but I don't need that because I don't ever upload anything to 4Shared, I am only downloading.

I am not sure if this info will help anyone or not... it is just something that I have looked into and I feel safe at this point.

Warm regards to all,

Candi

scramper75
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks Candi, that does help a little. I may just go ahead and pay for downloading stuff to keep my computer safe.

candi1973
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Candi, that does help a little. I may just go ahead and pay for downloading stuff to keep my computer safe.

I totally know that it does "STINK" to have to pay to download, as that is supposed to be one of their benefits of joining/having a free account. But as I said, the $17 is such a small price to pay to keep yourself safe.

I also recommend that you ask 4Shared to give you the same discount that I rec'd. Around xmastime, they had a big 50% off sale. You might mention to them that you're extremely worried about all of the "virus talk" you've been hearing/reading about and that as a customer, you'd appreciate the discount.

I know they're very reasonable. You can email them at: support@4shared.com

They're sooooo excellent about responding. Good luck to you! :biggrin:

scramper75
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks Candi, I will do that and let ya know what they say.

scramper75
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Ok well I have to do it at home tonight 4 shared is blocked here at work :(

Maryart
02-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Just wanted to chime in again about this virus thing. I got another one the other day and about a ton of websites started popping up! This was different than the worm I had gotten before, which was far worse and almost distroyed my system and blocking me from cleaning it (you DON'T WANT THAT ONE!).

This time, with all the popups it also gave me a popup that said it was internet explorer and I needed to click it to clean my system, I got 3 of those little windows and couldn't get them to close. Remember, never hit the red X. I tried to close them with a right click on the icon at the bottom of my screen and close, each time it gave me a new popup. I did control-alt-delete and cleared it that way, under applications. Then I did a complete scan of my system and fixed all the problems right away.

I think some things popup just when you open 4shared and some things popup if your mouse happens to scroll over something you didn't notice, perhaps from a side bar. I was trying to download something from someones blog from France and it did this. It isn't only 4shared, it could be at any download site.