PDA

View Full Version : PSDs and PNGs??

agarzaldynrd
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Next question...when we get downloads, either freebies or purchased, do we need both psd and png files? I guess I don't know what each one does. I want to free up some space on my hard drive if I don't need both.

OneMemory
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Some people don't use photoshop and others have versions that don't read png's very well. With psd files you get all the layers in tact. PNG's are flattened but have the ability to show transparency.
So it's up to you which ones you think you'll need. ;)

agarzaldynrd
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks, I'll have to play around with this before I get rid of anything.

ponicedan
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
If you look at a psd side by side with a png...they look the same don't they? My understanding is that a png is good if you want to add a photo to a hole in the layout & psd is if you want to change the layers of the layout?

elenasworld
02-12-2009, 11:37 AM
.png's have open spaces that you dont want "white" or filled in -- like quick pages, alpha's, ribbons, lots of different types of elements. Mostly, papers will be .jpg's

The .psd files allow you much more versalitily and will have the layers and shapes to move.

People whose software doesn't support the .psd files will use the .pngs and drag those shapes to their documents.

as far as keeping both, that is a personal choice. I tend to keep the .psd files for templates, but if some of the .png shapes are things that I will use often, like a flourish or swirl or frame, I might also keep the .png files.
I also keep all my .psd files for my layouts. Every few months I will burn the .psd's to disc and free up space. I keep the .jpg file, so that I can find it and figure out which DVD that .psd is on, should I need it.